V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification review by Behringer

Behringer: V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification

Price paid: € 35

Purchased from: Huuto.Net

The V-AMP2 can produce a wide range of different sounds and effects. My opinion is a bit mixed, because the effects are very, very good and so are the clean and some of the distorted sounds, but on the other hand it is hard to get a good extreme metal distorted sound out of it. There is a bit of noise as well, but not too much. I can get a good sound for playing My Dying Bride, Dire Straits, Nirvana and some other bands, but mostly the distorted sounds appear weak. One of the best features is that with the pre-amp bypass, you can use the V-AMP2 as a dedicated effects pedal with your guitar amp. And it does an excellent job at this. There are a lot of great effects and they sound good. Some of the guitars I've used my V-AMP2 with, include: Ibanez XPT700, ESP LTD M-50, Epiphone SG Prophecy Custom EX ME and Behringer iAxe 393. The funny thing is that the cheapest of them all, the iAxe 393 actually sounded the best with this unit. The most negative aspect of the sound is, however, the 1 second delay you get when switching sounds (like from clean to distorted with the foot pedal). This is probably a real showstopper for any kind of professional playing.

I like many of the sounds and love the effects the V-AMP2 provides. The foot pedal is great to have and the unit looks fantastic with all the LEDs flashing. I wish it had better distorted sound selection and I hate the 1 second delay when switching sounds. Sometimes you just need a quick switch from clean to distorted and back (hence the foot pedal, after all!) and this delay is very annoying. If my V-AMP2 was stolen or lost, I wouldn't get it again, since the V-AMP3 is out already. I think I'd probably consider getting that because of the great effects, but I'd also try out other stuff before rushing out to buy it. I bought my V-AMP2 mainly because of the price and a broad range of features and for the price I paid, it more than delivers.

The unit itself is very reliable and I could without a doubt use it for live playing as well, but purely as an effects pedal, though. The noise could be a problem, though. Some people might be also suspicious about the plastic case and its durability in live use.

I got my V-AMP2 from an internet auction and have been using it for almost a year. It is very easy to use and the manual contains lots of useful information about various setups and settings. It also came with its own gig bag, which is a nice inclusion. I also like the foot pedal a lot.