V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification review by Behringer

Behringer: V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

The sound is really where this baby starts to work. While the effects are very weak, the amp models sound pretty effing good and you can get a variety of tones. The effects can be used for flavor but don't expect anything more than a songwriting tool from them. I've recorded with the amp models and while I would much rather have my tube 100 cranked, I get a great sound and my neighbors don't bitch.

I can't even remember how long I've had this unit, and even though you must unplug the power EVERY time you turn it on and off it is still working as well as the day I got it. It is made of only plastic and if you take the normal amount of care with it it should last you a while. The amp models sound GREAT, the effects and cab models sound pretty thin and weak. Just set it to a 412 and forget it.

I have the desktop "pod" clone and it is made of only plastic. I've used it live and in the studio and it's taken the normal amount of wear and tear. Years and years of plugging and unplugging that stupid power supply (my biggest complaint with the unit) and it still soldiers on. I've spilled coffee, beer, etc. On it and it just comes back for more.

It is very easy and straightforward to use. Just dial in your sound. This unit is an amazing songwriting tool and can definitely be passable in a studio setting. I have used this live and recorded with it. There is some feedback when playing live, I've given up on that all together. When you click record this baby really shines. There are better, but for the money you can't go wrong.

Smart Patrol
    I think the secret for not having an artificial sound in these multifx units is NOT adding reverb to the distortion/drive. Since all effects are digital, the reverb blends into the tone, unsharping the edges. Like a digitally record Cd. The solution would be using a separate 0D/DS pedal and the Vamp only for the other effects. In my pedal board, only my Delay unit is digital. I played with the Vamp in a party jam session, and it sounded good, considering there was a lot of noise around from the other players. The only thing was the footswitch was missing, so I had to ask for the bass player to change the effect on/off for me. By that time, I had no gear of mine, but I was missing the freedom of stomping in the middle of 2 pedals for swaping effects.
    wch1968
    I recently picked up one of these and it does everything I want it to do. The Behringer site has some very good patches and for the price you won't go far wrong