VD1 Vintage Distortion review by Behringer

Behringer: VD1 Vintage Distortion

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

I bought this as a quick, cheap replacement for a Big Muff Pi that was stolen. I have not bothered to replace it. This pedal gives me the sound and output of my old pedal at less than half the cost. This is not a distortion pedal so much as a sustain and boost pedal. You will not get metal crunch but you will get that warm Santana-ish sustain.

I was expecting a temporary replacement for a more expensive pedal but was pleasantly surprised when this puppy came. I would definitely buy another if it was stolen or lost. At $30 you can't go wrong. The pedal compares very well to the Big Muff Pi at more than twice the price.

I have had the pedal for about two years and have gigged with it dozens of times. Never had a problem with it. The metal case is very similar to the Pi it replaced. Bulletproof case. The Switch is heavy duty as well. I give it an 8 because the knobs have plastic shafts. That seems to be very common on pedals made today.

Three knobs, one Switch. Level, tone, sustain. Very simple. Can run on batteries or external power supply. I use a Visual Sound One Spot to power all my pedals and it works great with this pedal. If you can't figure it out, you probably shouldn't be playing guitar. You may Hurt yourself.

AVA_Plus44_182
    How long have you had this pedal though? The thing I've noticed with Behringer pedals, amps, etc is that they work well for about 6-12 months, to the point where they actually rival other products like Boss, Fender, etc. But after that 6-12 month period, they start to crap out, usually to the extent where a replacement is the only option as the fault can't be remedied. That's the different between Behringer and those other brands; Behringer pedals simply wont do for the long term, whereas those other brands will just about always serve you well for years and years.
    giternator
    i'll vouch for that as well. i bought 3 behringer pedals online to use at home with my microcube. it was the EQ, tuner, and noise suppresor, all boss rips. they worked great and didnt seem cheap except for the plastic bodies. i was so surprised to see them working like they should considering their price. i was convinced they might last me a while but just as AVA_Plus44_182 said it lasted me a short while. altho they still work my EQ pedal is producing a lot of noise and farts massively if you let a note sustain for a long time and you cant stop it after that. keep that under control and it works. a good replacement pedal or brand to go to when your broke but definitely not reliable or your go to people. would be ideal for home use and practice but not so much gigging hard.
    MT in Austin
    To tell you the truth, I've had more problems with Digitech pedals than Behringer. I also have an UO100 Ultra Octave. I paid much more for two Digitech pedals than lasted me less than a year. I also have a Behringer rack tuner and 4 year old VAmp2 that work fine after years of use. The tuner is part of my gig setup but the VAmp is just for practice/messing around. I know people have had problems with Behringer products but I have been very fortunate in that regard.