VD1 Vintage Distortion review by Behringer

Behringer: VD1 Vintage Distortion

Price paid: A$ 60

Purchased from: Morayfield Music

I used to play it through the standard Alnico humbuckers on my G-400 before I swapped them out for Rockfield Mafias. My amplifier was made by my dad. All I know is it's about 60 watts. Even before the change over, it was a dream to play. Sounded even better after though. The sustainer effect thrown in gives it a very wavy sound when the low end is excentuated, but this gives the distortion that Vintage feel. It's hard to explain, but it's a unique thing that some strive for. The problem in this is the tonal control is a complete waste at any position under 8. It just losses it's punch and starts to fade, even with the level boosted. 8 gives and heavy, punk rock feel. 10 gives a distortion/fuzz mix. Works flawlessly with the Grunge work I deal with, and when I'm in the mood for Nightwish, it rips it apart.

As mentioned above, when the Grunge or metal takes hold, this pedal is the perfect medicine for me. I am not forking out 100+ for a damned effect pedal. I don't care which artist supports it. Yes, I'd buy it again. Based off this pedal's performance, I'd be quiet willing to go out and buy the rest of the Vintage series.

Honestly, I haven't had to change the batteries more than a couple of times since I bought it 5 months ago. I would play without a backup, but do yourself a favour and preset your tones before you wrap a truck load of tape around it to stop from kicking the tune out in your Rush to smash it into gear.

Let's follow the list shall we. It's big, chunky, and surprisingly light. Main complaint in this department is the activator switch on the face: It's a major pain in the butt when your playing live and you accidently kick the ridiculously large control knobs out of tune in your hurry to activate the damn effect. That being said, it's also very easy to get that precise tone your after. The manual was a little difficult to understand, but got the message across.

Amadeus_Wolves
    hey... anything below 6 is a waste. i meant to say 6. dunno what i was smoking when i said 8.
    Mainer
    AVA_Plus44_182 wrote: How long have you had this pedal though? The thing I've noticed with Behringer pedals, amps, etc is that they work well for about 6-12 months, to the point where they actually rival other products like Boss, Fender, etc. But after that 6-12 month period, they start to crap out, usually to the extent where a replacement is the only option as the fault can't be remedied. That's the different between Behringer and those other brands; Behringer pedals simply wont do for the long term, whereas those other brands will just about always serve you well for years and years.
    I've had mine for about a year, and mine still works like it was new
    stompboxnation
    I've had mine for a while, its great and a seriously effective fuzz/distortion tone. Sounds pretty good, specially through the H on my HSS I did a vid which can be found at
    Its just me plating and stuff