VD1 Vintage Distortion review by Behringer

Behringer: VD1 Vintage Distortion

Price paid: € 29.99

Purchased from: Bax-shop.nl

The pedal is set: Level 4, Tone 5, Sustain 2. This gives me a subtly distorted tone that suits my style of music well (Blues rock/Hard rock. As for noise, as far as I can tell there is no noise, or at least no unwanted noise when using this pedal with a bass guitar. Also, there is no low end loss from the bass either, in my case I run this pedal straight into a Line 6 LD400 Pro and I have no issues with it. The effect is actually not too dissimilar to a EHX Big Muff bass, at less than half the price. No complaints here.

For blues/rock bass players this pedal certainly has a place. I have been playing 4 years and this is my first distortion pedal, but it fits well enough into my arsenal of effects. If it got stolen, I would probably get a dedicated bass distortion pedal such as a Bass Muff or an MXR. I like the sound this pedal provides, but the build quality sadly lets it down a bit.

The pedal itself feels rather solid, the buttons on the other hand feel a little weak and in my opinion not very durable. I am not inclined to take a spare/backup as I only use this pedal sparingly in my effects chain. That said, the pedal does feel a little more solid than most other Behringer pedals produced at the moment.

This pedal is essentially a cheap version of a EHX Big Muff. I personally use this pedal with a bass guitar (Hagstrom Beluga II-F), so as this pedal is meant for an electric guitar, and the manual is written for that application I can't really comment on the manual. Even with the bass guitar it is easy to get the perfect tone out of it, and sadly just as easy to lose this perfect tone due to how loose and supple the control buttons are. This is a rather large problem when playing live as there is nearly no opportunity to set up a pedal mid-gig.

SteveDallman
    This is a great knockoff of a Big Muff. The actual EH Big Muff has sounded a little different every time they come out with a new model. As far as durability, I have many Behringer pedals, and some rack effects along with hundreds of other brands...literally. I collect them. I have gigged for years with some of the Behringer pedals. I don't baby them. When done on a gig, they get put/thrown into the cord box. I have never had one "go bad" on me. They save some money by manufacturing in China (as does Boss, Mackie, etc) and by using plastic enclosures instead of die cast aluminum. I've yet to have one crack or break. As an authorized repair tech for Line 6, Loud Technologies (Mackie, Ampeg, Crate, etc), Korg (Marshall), Roland/Boss, Fender, Yamaha and other companies, I have no problems with Behringer's circuits, build quality or durability. Many of those who dismiss Behringer have not used their products. Many disagree with Behringer copying other companies' products, and that is a legitimate argument. I've worked in music stores for decades, and I've seen my share of broken equipment, pedals, guitars, basses, amps, mics, PA heads, power amps, speakers, mixers etc that were horribly abused. Take reasonable care of your stuff.