VD400 Vintage Delay review by Behringer

Behringer: VD400 Vintage Delay

I am using custom Stratocaster design guitars, and CV Squier 60's strat, using Vox amplifiers (AC15 & Pathfinder 15). I have also used this pedal on a Line 6 Spider IV 30 as well. This pedal delivers a warm sound comparable to Way Huge Aqua Puss. I have tried both and I couldn't tell much about the difference when I close my eyes. The 300ms delay time would be enough for my taste on an analog delay. For a pedal this cheap, I wouldn't ask anything more.

We play blues and standard rock and roll and so far, haven't had a need for a much longer delay pedal, do the VD400 just suits my needs. If your budget is tight and you need a very good analog delay pedal, the Behringer VD400 is highly recommended. I would get another one if this pedal gets stolen or lost. I have compared this pedal side by side with some of the best or popular analog delay pedals, and the VD400 would definitely be a good contender amongst the other much popular and expensive brands.

The pedal is made of plastic, but it is ABS plastic. The industrial grade plastic used in motorcycle helmets, construction helmets, junction boxes, etc. ABS plastic is supposed to be impact proof, and there have been times when I accidentally dropped one of my Behringer pedals but never cracked. My VD400 sits along with a Boss BD2 and Ibanez TS9 and another Behringer RV600 on my pedal board, and I have another 2 Behringer pedals on standby as back ups for my BD2 (a Blues OD BO100)and TS9 (a TO800). I haven't used batteries yet for the VD400 and it hasn't given me any problems so far. I am giving it a 9, coz nothing beats metal casing in terms of toughness, though I love the weight of my Behringer pedals (0.33kg/pedal).

A simple yet amazing pedal, delivering true analogue delay and Vintage slap-back echo like an expensive boutique analog delay pedal. It has 3 knobs, Repeat Rate (to adjust delay time), Echo (adjusts output level) and Intensity (adjusts the number of repetitions). Delay time is only 300ms but I guess this is just standard for an analog delay.

rokkit
    rv_phoenix wrote: A 9,3 for a 40 $ effect from Behringer, arguably the worst (known) brand in music equipment on the planet? How could you rate a Pete Cornish or a Mad Professor effect, then? Would you give them a 98 or a 126? Or even a Seymour Duncan tube pedal? Would you give it - comparing it to your crappy Behringer - a 78? If you can't tell the difference between a Behringer and a Way Huge, how can you ever rate and review a product of this kind? First of all, a Behringer (no matter which) is something with a very short life expectation. You should wait at least a year, to see if it stil works, and, in the situation it miraculously does, if it works the same way as in its first second of life. Then you can give him a 9,3. But I'm not sure you could tell the difference anyway. Such reviews make wonder why do we maintain such a low level of expertise requested for those who want to review musical equipment. Is it a review, or a pathetic ballad for the only effect someone could afford?
    in case youre new to the internet, the rating is in comparison to the price
    damillion
    I agree with Rokkit. Price has to be included. Like you're saying it's way too obvious that a guitar for 100 Euros has a different field of use (like: is it a good BEGINNERS guitar? that's what you're really rating), compared to buying a guitar for 5 grand - which is a very high end guitar. For example I'm going to buy a Harley Benton 7 string for 100 Euros soon, just to have a 7 string to practice on. I know it's made of plastic, barely has any wooden details what-so-ever, and that the 3 pick ups suck. Does that mean I can go "OMG THE SOUND IS FUCKING TERRIBLE!" and write a review rating it as the worst guitar ever made in comparison to my high-end Dean? ...naaa...
    Dempsey68
    +1 to rokkit & damillion. i ALWAYS rate things with a quality:price ratio. if something is 500 and is good, but something is 50 and is 50% of the quality, that's a better buy in my opinion. besides, not everyone has hundreds to spend on guitar equipment, i remember when i was starting out i got behringer pedals because "they did the job" for just home playing.
    Harleymunn
    If you wanna spend $300 on a delay pedal that does the same thing as a $25 delay pedal... Be my guess. What really sucks is when you spend a bunch of money on a pedal and it takes a shit on you. What's awesome is when you buy a behringer delay pedal for $25 and have it 6 years later and it still does what it says " delay" like the day I bought it. I have the money to buy more expensive pedals but that doesn't make any sense to me. I think 9.5 is a very appropriate rating for this pedal no matter what the price. It does what it says and it does it as well as any.
    Homer13063
    I just purchased this via Amazon sight unseen. It was $25 if I like the qualities of it I'll upgrade, if not, I'll toss it out. For the price you shouldn't expect a lifelong pedal. It's a disposable world people.
    Waspfactor
    This is a fantastic analogue delay pedal,it gives that vintage slapback feel and cranking up the intensity gives some interesting effects.experiment with its placement in your fx chain.try it before your high gain pedals,i found it works best this way,as its getting the clean signal.i know most put it after od etc,but just give it a try.i dare you
    rv_phoenix
    Unossofrus
    Recently purchased this pedal and it is fantastic for guitar stuff, particularly Lead treble and ambient acoustic solos. I wouldn't recommend it for the bass though, sounds awful! I will also point out that when the Intensity is set too high, you get a lot of unwanted feedback.
    jason.funk1
    I don't know why people are always bashing Behringer, especially with "it's low quality, it will break... blah blah blah." I used to use four Behringer, a blues overdrive, distortion, phase shifter, and I forget the other one. Dropped them multiple times, not a problem. Thrown by a girlfriend against a concrete wall bounced off and hit a concrete floor. Worked great afterwards. No bs..... People try to trash it to make themselves feel better about spending big bucks on some other pedal that costs 800% more and sounds 25% better. Bad return on investment. I think most Behringer pedals are a great deal for the price and can get you very close to the sound you want, although now most of the pedals I use are a lot more expensive because I want the exact sound that I am going after.
    rockfreak611
    Linkerman wrote: rokkit wrote: in case youre new to the internet, the rating is in comparison to the price I interpret things differently. IMHO, the rating should reflect the quality of the product overall, compared to the universe of similar items (both below and above its price range). For example, i don't think it's fair that a $250 Ibanez gets the same rating as a $3.000 Paul Reed Smith McCarthy. Despite the fact that it may be an EXCELLENT guitar for $250. So i completely understand what rv_phoenix is saying, and i agree with him.
    couldn't have said it better myself. although price should be a factor in the rating, it shouldn't be the deciding factor. a small factor, yes, but not a big one.
    rv_phoenix
    I might be new on the Internet, but I'm old on the guitar. My 30 years of playing on all kind of stuff (including Behringers: I live in a poor country, and Behringers tend to be quite popular here) made me wonder such a crappy product could get such a high rate. It's not only about money. Even if we take the price into consideration, let me tell you - in case you're new on guitar, dear rokkit - there are quite a few 40 $ effects 10 times better than a Behringer. Have you ever tried the FAB series from Danelectro, for instance? Mainly it's about expertise. OK, we do take price into consideration. But how to pretend you judge a delay, when the only thing you're able to do is to cite the tech-schmech from the manual and describe the plastic cover of the pedal? What about the noise the pedal is introducing into the system? Did we measure it? Nope. What about the bias? Did we measure it? Nope. What about sound altering (which is huge in any Behringer effect)? Do we have any description? Nope. Just a 9,3. Just imagine David Gilmour reviewing a superb Mad Professor Delay (that's something handmade in Finland, by a sort of an electronics genius and a guitarrist meanwhile, in case you don't know). Do you think he would throw a 9,3? I don't think so. Then, what's the use for all this discussion? In terms of music, I mean...
    Linkerman