VP1 Vintage Phaser Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 05/18/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: VP1 Vintage Phaser
Authentic and classic three dimensional phase shiftingfrom rapid rotary speaker to impressive jet plane effects! No matter what phasing effect sound you're after, VP1 is bound to make getting there easier!
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.1
 7.2
 5,736
review (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
VP1 Vintage Phaser Reviewed by: frankthewolfman, on may 18, 2007

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: This is an incredibly easy pedal to use, there is a rate control and neg/pos feedback switch, how much easier can a phaser get. The manual is good too, as ti just explains what each part does, but since it is so easy, you don't really need it, to be honest. // 9

Sound: I use it with my Epiphone G-400 and Nevada 15 watt amp, as well as the Behringer HB01 wah, it sounds brilliant. When using the positive feedback function, there is a more pronounced sound than the negative feedback. So, when using the pos (or neg) feedback there are thee main areas on the rate knob which gives good sounds, around 1-3 gives a more subtle effct, which sounds kind of like the main riff to 'Machine gun' from band of gypsies, and is good for rhythm guitar parts. When you turn up the rate to 4-6 you get a more pronounced sound, which is good for melody lines or suchlike. However, the most 'fun' setting is at 9/10 when you get a sound kind of like some of the bits at the beginning of cygnus x-1 by Rush, I like to use this very sci-fi sound with my wah wah pdal and slide to make it sound like a dying alien, incredibly cool. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can certainly depend on the case and the on/off Switch as they are made of metal, but I would be careful with the rate knob as it is plastic, and despite holding up well so far, could be damaged. I also advise getting a power supply to avoid endless battey changes. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mainly bluesy/jazzy/proggy/metally/heavy rock, it is perfect for me and I think it is very cool. It is definately worth getting as it is quite cheap (25) but makes great sounds (don't get the UP100). I have only been playing since autumn 2006, and as I said before I use an Epiphone G-400, but I still know how great this pedal is. I love it's simplicity and sound quality (no colouration of tone), and the only thing I would change would be the rate knob itself, which I think probably could be more durable, you should definately buy it. // 9

Comments