VT999 Vintage Tube Monster review by Behringer

Behringer: VT999 Vintage Tube Monster

Purchased from: Same Day Music

As good a tube Overdrive sound as I have ever heard. I've been playing for o'er 40 yrs. Great overtones, sustain, and touch sensitivity. Not too raspy (I have an EH English Muffin that is a bit saw-tooth). I played a Tele through it to test her out - really gets a thicker/meaty/smoother tone with it - Robben Ford/Dumble amp tone & feel. You can get the scooped metal-like tone with the pedal if you want, and clean boost is nice & warm. A very musical pedal. Amazing bang for buck. I had trouble putting the guitar down I like it so much.

I think this pedal would cover most any guitar style. I'm more of a blues/jazz/country guy - Larry Carlton, Johnny A, Matt Rae, R Ford. I've had just about every kind of guitar gear ever made and I must say this Monster is one of the best unit's I have ever tried. There have only been a few pedals that I have used for years and some I wish I never got rid of. This one will be a keeper. For overdrive/distortion pedals I only like 1 footswitch -on/off. I don't like the 2-pedals in one unit's or boost Switch - too much nonesense. Functional simplicity and good sound are the keys.

I know it is well built because the shipper packed the thing horribly and it was flying around in the big box from Las Vegas to Oregon. I kicked it around a bit while I was testing it & there were no issues. It is a metal casing/FS and the tube is well protected. I always have a backup for gigs, but probably won't need one.

Very easy to use - laid out like a tube amp with gain & master & bass/mid/treble, on off Switch, FS. I like the noise gate feature as this will allow the pedal to be at the end of the chain o' pedals. The tone controls have a good range. The LED's are nice & bright. I haven't opened up the manual - the pedal is very intuitive to use.

bradleyard
    For anyone considering purchasing one of these pedals, allow me to make one suggestion: buy a different vacuum tube for it! Don't get me wrong, the stock tube is actually a very highly rated tube from what I've read. The problem is, it's far too high-gain of a tube for the solid state opamp that follows it to drive the tone stack, resulting in a scratchy, fizzy tone that leaves much to be desired. Any of the 12a*7 tubes will work in it, but you have to keep in mind the gain level of each tube, and use that to select a tube based on the tone you're looking for. A 12ax7 has a gain rating of 100, with the 12at7 at 70, the 12ay7 at 50, and the 12au7 at 20. Myself, I went with a Mesa 12AT7, partly because I was looking for a more modern, Mesa Dual Rectifier tone, partly because that's just what was available without ordering one online. Changing the tube took me all of five minutes, and the difference it made was stunning. While it didn't quite make it into Dual Rectifier territory, it's definitely somewhere between that and a Marshall Plexi. That's not a bad thing.
    nacl_dkny
    Insanity ninja
    nacl_dkny wrote: i just bought this pedal via amazon, i plugged everything correctly, the blue light just blinks. pressing on the foot switch doesn't make any difference. i have read that it needs time to warm up, but having it plugged for almost 2 hours without the LED stop blinking, i think somethings wrong. am i doing something wrong or my pedal's broken? faulty tubes?
    Something's wrong there, it'd be a good idea to contact the seller. I also love mine, even though it's scraped and bashed, I reckon that gives it character
    HOUNDDAWG
    Well, for what it's worth I use a $69 ART TUBE MP preamp for guitar, patched into two different (solid state) amps's in/out preamp jacks and the added "valve" really improves the amps' tones (clean and distorted) and responses to pick attack. The preamp has in and out XLR jacks (with 24V phantom power for condenser mics) and TS jacks for instruments. (It's intended for both instrument and mics.) And, my son uses a TECH 21 SANS AMP BASS DRIVER (which needs no help producing great bass tones) and if he uses it with HIS TUBE MP preamp the BASS DRIVER can run on the MP's phantom power. (the SANS AMP also has an XLR output with optional 24V for direct recording and it will run on either batteries, a wall wart or the ART TUBE MP's phantom power.) A careful tweaking of both devices (or the ART MP and another amp or pedal distortion) expands the tonal range beyond what a single distortion usually offers. So, I'm all for using an external tube pedal or device to warm up a solid state amp. Even my PIGNOSE HOG 20 (which sounds very good as is) benefits from the 12AX7a Tube preamp (plugged into the input jack-there are no slave preamp inputs on a PIGNOSE) with expanded tonal options. And, the 20db boost turns the amps I've tested so far into flame throwers for overdriven clean sounds.