X V-AMP review by Behringer

Behringer: X V-AMP

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

I use it with my computer mostly. Recording and stuff like that, and it sounds rather good. I haven't had a chance to play it at a gig yet but it stands up pretty well when rehersing. Although, when you change an effect, it does take about a second to change the sound so there will be a large gap instead of a clean transistion between clean and distortion. Which defeats the point really. You can have it so the pedal changes this, but then you don't have a wah pedal. As far as sounding like bands goes, I can get some really old school black metal sounds with the cathedral echo effect, and some rather scarily close sounds to the opening of welcome home sanitatium. But one gipe is that sounds don't linger enough when you turn the noise gate on. It's meant to kill feedback and it does it amazingly well but also kills your guitar sound to some extent.

Its not bad for metal I suppose. Black metal it does well because the really fuzzy distortion matches any old bathory or thorns song. The reverb is great for showing off, as is the noise gate because of how well it works at such a low price. The off button has raised an eyebrow of more than one of my friends because it isnt there. It made me wonder why as well. This pedal is great for beginners and although people say it's unreliable, I have yet to see any evidence for this. I just wouldn't use it live though because it feels as though something will go wrong. It's not a professional product that's all, but it's a useful pedal for travelling because it's light, small and cheap. You wouldn't want to carry around a huge Boss GT-8 everywhere. Carry this one instead because if it gets nicked, you'll only be around 60 worse off.

Well, there's that gap between the settings when you change them which puts me off using it live, if I accidentally hit a change, it's another 2 seconds before I can get back to my original sound. Not good. It's not really a gig pedal though, more a beginner one and it does this far better than actually performing. It hasn't broken on me yet and survived a trip through a 747's cargo hold, but it feels too light. This is good, but also it feels flimsy. Boss pedals are really dense and you get a sense that they wont break, this feels like an empty shell that could crack at any time.

Well, it seems easy enough. There's the usual up and down pedals which scroll through the presets, and storing presets you've made is pretty simple. Just hold a button down for a few seconds and it's done. But sometimes it gets annoying when you have to hold down the alternate function button to change the tone level instead of just the gain, because you need 2 hands. Fair enough we've all got 2 but I've also got to hold my guitar and stop it falling off my lap or hitting a cupboard. The expression pedal is not bad, but because it's plastic and has no grip appart from some ridges you need some shoes.

one_way_mule2
    I totally agree, the delay between banks is soo frustrating. also it plays up every now and then. reliability i would give it less than five, it really is not worth the money!!!
    wilmearz
    could you use this to duplicate MUSE type sounds with the fuzzy distortion?