X V-AMP review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Behringer: X V-AMP

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I was originally running this with a Yamaha starter guitar through the Yamaha starter amp, and it sounded really good. Sadly, the unit sounds pretty bad if you start playing it on higher end amps or through PA systems. The main problem is that EQ'ing the pedal properly is really hard, as there is no real 3 band EQ that lets you compensate for your amplifier. I found that it overemphasised bass and treble, despite being set to have a mids hump. It's a shame that it only really sounds good on cheap practice amps, because the effects are all so easy to control. My personal favourite would have to be the pitch shift and rotary effects. The wah (both auto and foot controlled) suck majorly though.

It can pull off any genre with equal effiency. I've been playing for 3 years now, and this pedal has now been trumped by any number of borrowed wah pedals, and recently sold to a friend. I really wish I asked someone if the wah was good before getting this, as that was the main reason I bought the unit. I was a total tone newbie when I got this, and even now, it still sounds good on my practice amp. In the end, this is a pretty good deal for a large amount of effects and amps in one package, but the reliability issues make it more of a toy than anything else.

This unit really fails in this category. On several occasions, the small light next to the channel number (looks like a period) would stay lit, and no sound would come through. This has happened three times, and each time I couldn't find any fix except for resetting it to factory presets. There's also some weirdness with the optical sensor for the expression pedal, because it sometimes registers movement even if I haven't touched it. Don't gig with this. Also, the 2 second delay between channels only occurs if the two channels have different amp models. So if you Switch between 7 different channels that are all set on, let's say, the V-amp Crunch model, then there will be no delay. It's not at all suitable for gigging, but if you can get by the 2 second delay, studio work would be okay.

It's pretty easy to use, but there are a few button combinations that need to be looked up before you get full use out of it. The manual is pretty good, but to find out exactly how to control each paramter of each effect, you need to look up the directions on their website. After you get used to it (takes an hour for most), it's a breeze to use.

chatlo77
    it's better than Digitech's offerings. I love Behringer effects and amps, low price high quality in my opinion. Only problem i've had is when there is no sound sometimes and that little dot comes up. Also the expression pedal is a bit hard to engage. I reckon it is better than RP80 though
    BassIsBest:)
    Anyone her play bass? if you do plz tell me if this pedal works with bass guitar cheers peeps