X V-AMP review by Behringer

Behringer: X V-AMP

I'm currently using the OLP John Petrucci signature guitar through a small Peavey Blazer 158. I personally think the clean setting is a little fuzzy but it's better than the clean setting on my amp. The distortions on the pedal are brilliant, you can make a low-budget room amp sound like a more expensive and larger amp with this. I play mainly progressive but also some blues and hard rock and the X V-AMP has it all covered. The reverb is particularly good and I've become prone to using it too much. The delay settings are really good but it takes practice to get it exactly how you want it. All of the modules are pretty good except wah, auto-wah and p-funk'n which are extremely poor. Don't get this pedal if you're after a cheap wah, just get a wah. The noise gate is real good for the higher gain settings however it does kill the sustain of your guitar. Fiddle around enough and you're sure to get most of the sounds you want, I play mainly Dream Theater, UFO, MSG, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Whitesnake, Rush etc and I've been able to get close enough to their sound. The only problem with the sound is that if you're playing up full you do get feedback on some settings.

I've tried many genres with the v-amp (prog, jazz, blues, classic rock, classical, metal) it's equipped for all of them. I've tried playing a Westfield E4000 (les paul), a Gibson Flying V and an Ibanez JEM through it and it seems to work well with just about any guitar. If it were stolen I'd definitely consider buying it again but I would perhaps try something up-market because the delay between banks is a bitch. If they eliminated the delay and perhaps upgraded the wah this product would be about as good as you could get considering the low price, but even as it is it's still a brilliant product.

I take my v-amp to every band practice and it gets kicked around and stomped on, so far there are only a few scratches from the concrete garage floor but it sounds the same. I've owned it for a year and a half now and I've had no technical difficulties, it always does what it's supposed to do. I haven't used this for a gig yet but due to the occasional feedback issue, I wouldn't recommend gigging with it. It feels cheap but I think it's sturdier than it seems.

At first I decided to ignore the manual and just figure things out for myself, to which the pedal disappointed me slightly, but this is only because I wasn't aware of the potential. After reading the manual, which is very clear and easy to understand, I figured out how to use the pedal to it's full extent and the versatility and quality is excellent. The only real problem was the delay between banks (this can be overcome if you are on the same amp setting but that is generally what you want to change).