X V-AMP review by Behringer

Behringer: X V-AMP

Price paid: £ 79.99

Purchased from: Maplin

At the moment I'm playing my strat through it and I'm running the unit through the headphone output into my awesome Sanyo headphones and it sounds great! When I return to my student house in Chester next month I'll be running it through my speakers as I did with my Zoom unit. There are no problems with noise, and even if there were one could use the noise gate which is great. This is a pretty versatile unit as many sounds can be produced. I've seen a few reviews along the lines of "Zomg Therez 2 Much Treble! It Wont Let Me Change Teh Mid!" but this is crap as not only can you obviously lower the presence, but holding the 2nd function button in the presence editing mode allows the user to alter the mid frequencies. Some of the speaker/amp settings are terrible but this is down to my personal preference as opposed to a flaw of the unit, but others such as "Modern Gain" are fantastic. The Compressor is brilliant and I use slight compression on my favourite clean patch and it sounds great. I have already achieved some of the sounds of my favourite artists such as Sublime, Slightly Stoopid and Matisyahu, and I'm going to be working on some others such as Nirvana and Gov't Mule.

I play all sorts of styles; rock, reggae, ska, hip-hop, pop and blues, among others and it handles them all brilliantly. I've been playing guitar for 3 and a half years now, and I'm still using a Squier Strat (only kidding, its actually not too bad at all)! I also own a Behringer DM100, UC100 and UF100. I wish I had known about the patch-change latency before it was purchased, although I probably still would have got this unit for it's other features. Also if it was stolen I'd replace it with the same as it is fantastic value for money. My favourite feature of the Behringer X V-AMP is the expression pedal (wah wah XD), but this is may be due to the fact that I've never had one at my disposal before! I also love the sounds that can produced as a result of the unit's diverse range of modelling options. What I hate about it is the patch-change latency (as I've mentioned about 2 million times before). Compared to other effects units in the 70-80 price range this one stood out massively. Compared to my old Zoom G1 this is quite superiour, but doesn't beat it in the patch-change latency department; the G1 had next-to-no latency. In a nutshell this is a fantastic unit for players of all levels, but is let down by it's, yep you guessed it, patch-change latency.

Although this unit is composed of plastic, it seems rather durable. The patch selection footswitches seem a bit weak but its not like you need to stomp them as hard as possible like some idiots do. As a whole its well put together. As soon as I plugged a cable into the input and felt it gently slide in and lock, I knew that this would be a generally sturdy unit. The expression pedal, as nice as it feels to use, might not last too long, but we'll just wait and see. I would find this unit a bit tricky to use at a gig, not because of it's durability but because of a problem with changing patches; there's a slight delay during switching >.< This problem is not good at all for gigging, so as bad as this may sound I would probably run my Behringer DM100 (distortion stompbox) through the unit in order to utilise it's noise gate and sound shaping features, as well as to get instant distortion obviously. As for backup? Well erm, I suppose I'd have to use my Behringer stomp boxes.

I've used quite a few units and this one is rather easy to master. Although at first it wasn't as simple to use as my old Zoom G1, it is a hell of a lot more flexible in the creation of sounds. The manual was rather short, but this reflects the overall usability of the unit.

oflynmm64
    Man I feel like a ditz, I am a manual reader from way back, but I have no idea how to get this working. It's like the people who wrote the manual are from a different planet. I am sure there is a lot to behold from the X V-AMP, but I just dont get it. Going back to the BOSS.
    Cream-fan-#1
    I have this pedal... It cost me around $150 and my friend bought a no name pedal for about $50 his pedal didn't break after a week and the effects actually sounded good
    stevegad
    To overcome the settings problems for gigs, simply put the clean sound, or whatever you use on one track, and the sound for solo's on the next. Next patch number (say 2) set up for the next track in similar fashion and move on to put the solo sound on next patch number and do on. That way all you have to do is to keep moving up every track. There are easily enough banks to fulfil even the longest setlist. Copying the banks to the number you want it on is simple.
    howardrocker
    This pedal was cool for the first 10 minutes after that it sucked. The delay and reverb are decent but the wah-wah is horrible!