X V-AMP review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Behringer: X V-AMP

I use it with a Michael Kelly Patriot Premium and a Spider 2 15 watt amp. It sounds great given that you have decent settings. You DONT want to crank up the volume or gain in this unit because even with the noise gate, it will still be noisy. The key in getting the best out of this pedal is by tweaking the built-in EQ. By pressing the compr and modulation button, you access the EQ for the bass. Pressing the 2nd function button while turning the knob will set the mid settings. This is some of the stuff you'll miss if you don't read the manual. The presence setting is similar to this. The amp models are the best feature of this pedal. It's a shame the other effects are just average. The amp models range from high-gain rectifiers to blues crunch amps to brit models. I spent an hour just fiddling with the amp models. There's no overdrive/distortion bank, you get them in the models, which is fine by me. The other effects as I've said are passable. The delays are good, they deliver, just don't expect some multi-tapping or reverse delays. The chorus is sweet, the most used effect in my setup. The flangers, phasers are ok too, although I don't use them a lot. The Wah and auto Wah could be a LOT better. The reverb delivers as well.

I play hard rock, nu-metal and some modern blues and the amp models definitely deliver. I can't say the same with the other effects though. I've been playing for 6 years now and this was my very first pedal (I got it in 2005). I still use it, along side my other stompboxes because I just love this one setting I got by chance. It's a medium-gain, with a tad bit delay and reverb on top of a low intensity chorus and I just adore that sound, great for soloing, and if I remove the reverb, great for rhythm on alternative or gospel songs, think Hillsong (I play at the church regularly).If it were stolen, I'd buy a Zoom G2.1Nu (and I already did). What keeps this pedal from being totally awesome is the annoying delay between patches. If somehow they got rid of that, this product would be in a totally different league in terms of what it offers at a very low price.

I don't gig with this. As mentioned, there's a 1.5 second delay between patches of different amp models and that is just unacceptable for me. This pedal is great for practicing or just being in charge of one or two patches along with other stompboxes. Also, the expression pedal got busted quite early, even though I RARELY use it. With that said, it's really not that bad for its price. You get good amp modeling, lots of effects and a very decent chorus for 100$.

The Behringer X V-AMP is a multi-effects pedal featuring many of Behringer's stompbox models and other popular amp/cabinet models. It has chorus, delay, reverb, flanger, phaser, wah, auto-wah, and a lot more. It features an expression pedal which you can assign to the intensity of an effect, the volume/gain or speed (in delays and tremolo effects). It's powered by a 9v DC adapter. It comes with a manual translated to a lot of different languages although when it comes down to it, you'll get the gist just by playing with unit for an hour or so. Having said that, I'd still advice you read the manual as it provides "hidden" settings like the built-in EQ. It's really easy to edit patches (it features 100 patches). Just select the amp model, adjust the gain/volume, then add any of the effects you wish by tapping the delay, reverb, modulation noise gate and compression buttons. There are 2 knobs that control each and every aspect of the unit, depending on what mode you are in (for example if you press the delay button, the selection of the knob changes to the delay settings). It also has a 2nd function button that you hold as you turn either of the 2 knobs, selecting the secondary mode of the knob. It also has a built-in tuner, accessed by pressing the up and down pedals simultaneously. This is also the bypass mode. Overall, editing is a breeze and getting a decent tone is kinda easy thanks to the somewhat intuitive interface.

rv_phoenix
    Behringer is arguably the worst brand in musical equipment on the planet. Its products not only sound bad, but are fully unreliable. I've listen Doron Deutsch's gig: thank God I wasn't there, I'm even surprised he escaped unlynched... This shows how bad the level of knowledge in musical equipment has decreased in the last two decades. Accidentaly, I came across this pedal (sound processor would be a more adequate concept): it sounds like a Chinese toy meant for kids in Communist kindergardens. None of its effects - distortion, chorus etc. - sounds natural. The wah is simply ridiculous, exhibiting the sound of a drilling machine while drilling holes into an empty PET bottle. None of its specs (input signal, output impedance) is actually fit for working with a decent combo or PA, because the Chinese plant who produces it has no quality standards whatsoever and none of the regular electronic standards are respected. No matter which cable you use - and I warmly reccomend you the Evidence Lyric HG, the supreme instrument cable -, the hum coming from this device is terrible: the sound engineer of your gig would throw it into the first garbage can in the area... A 7,6? How much would we rate a Boss, Korg or Vox sound processor, then (all these being average semi-pro products, beside a Pete Cornish pedalboard)? Or maybe it's a 7,6, but three leagues below, sub-zero, under the sea level...