X V-AMP review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Behringer: X V-AMP

Price paid: € 45

Purchased from: jofogas.hu

The sound is another story. If you plan on buying it, just don't. The cleans sound somewhat decent, but everything else fails miserably. The crunch tone is too dark, the distortion is muddy, and it feels like there's only post-gain on this thing. I mainly wanted to use it as a backup/practise pedal, but it's not even good for that. Since I play Metal (Melodic Death Metal), this pedal might be one of my worst choices. As for modulation effects, the rotary is not something I used too-too much, but I think it's okay. Not enough depth on that though. What I mainly cared about was the Wah and the Pitch Bend effects, and those flat out suck. The Wah only goes halfway, and when playing solos or one-note riffs, it can just barely be heard. If you're strumming chords or doing hard rock-style power chord riffs, it's pretty audible, but it makes the muddy distortion even more muddy. I tried it on several amps, so it's not my amp that makes it sound bad. I tested it on a Peavey Backstage practise amp (surprisingly that's the best sound I got out of any of my amps with this pedal), a 1994 Mesa/Boogie Rectifier and a 1964 Bhm Regent 30H, but one sounded worse than the other. I did all these tests without the cab simulation. The cab simulation sounds like a crappy practise amp being played in the back of a van surrounded with couches and whatnot. It's bad. The only part that might be somewhat worth it is the reverb. Or more specifically the Cathedral Reverb. That's awesome. As for the Spring reverb and the ping-pong delay, it's not worth it. The spring reverb is really harsh and makes a constant incoherent squeeking noise. It's annoying.

I play metal, and this pedal for that is not anything that you might want to use. If you're a jazz/blues player, it might be of some use, but really not much. Why I bought it if it's so bad, you might ask... Well, I wanted a pedal for Practising and jamming, but since I wasn't able to try it out before buying it, since the guy selling it didn't have any of the cables. He was originally selling it for 16.000 HUF, but I got him to sell it to me for 13.000 (Wich is roughly 45) because I can't try it... Well, I should've bought the Zoom G2 instead. If it would be stolen, I wouldn't really give a flying f--k about the device. I'd care more about my money though. I would never buy anything as crappy as this one again.

It's made of plastic... But it seems durable enough. It never broke on me, even though I stomp on it really hard sometimes. As for using it on a gig without backup - never! I'd never even bring this hunk of crap to a gig, even WITH backup.

Using this unit is easy. Even my music theory teacher was able to learn it, and he's now 78 years old. Getting a GOOD sound out of it on the other hand is next to impossible. More about that in 'sound'.

John600ss
    I have been playing thirty five years and love this pedal, I have a silverface twin, deluxe reverb, and Bronco (vibro champ) all mid seventies amps as well as later Marshalls and solid state red knob Fenders and this is the first pedal I genuinely like. Every pedal I have used before has taken away from the sound of my amps except this one, I think it is because I play most of the simulations reasonabley clean and it is a bright sounding pedal. I use the Tweed Bassman, the blackface twin and the british plexi and never have the gain over 50% my guitars are a 69SG Custom and a 80 american THE STRAT with its X1 pickups. Obviously I own some of the best equipment you can buy when I added this to my setup, and I spent more than a few hours dailing it in, the reaction from the band was what have you done the lift in the sound was astounding, I will have to buy get another brand like Korg or Zoom to see if they are as good but this has worked for me, I think the trick is to let your amps and guitars do the work but use this to enhance, only downer is the wah which works well clean but is poor dirty. Oh I play BB KIng SRV, bit of Hendrix etc.
    joere444
    I never understood why everybody says this pedals so terrible. I use it quite a bit, and it's always done great for me. Honestly it might be my amp settings because I have the bass dialed down the chan. volume all the way up, the Trebble boosted, and the mid gains all the way up. So basically already have more definition on my sound. But to be quite fair the Pedal works well. I can get a great sound out of it, if I put it on clean and turn the gain down just a tiny bit, then turn the volume on it to a decent level. With slight Reverb, and medium echo that overlaps with what you're playing. I can get it to sound just like page plays the opening riff to over the hills and far away live. So yeah to each his own I guess.
    joere444
    Smart Patrol
    Thing rv_phoenix forgets is in USA Behringer pedals are almost free, considering the average income. U$30 is almost like free for them. So you buy, play, test real pedals from Boss, MXR and others and then you either throw it in the garbage can or give it as gift for another noob player. So the noob learns how to play, buys the real thing and then gives it away to some other pal. So life goes on...