X V-AMP review by Behringer

Behringer: X V-AMP

Purchased from: Second Hand

The basic features are easy and intuitive to get a handle on. More complex settings are a bit harder but not too difficult. The noise gate is super easy to use and can quickly clean up your noisy pickups however a compromise with the sustain of your instrument needs to be made. I personally use very light noise gating. But it is quick to get the sound you want. Editing patches is easy with just holding in the "store" button. The manual is worth reading as it gives you a wider grasp on all of it. The manual was well written and easy to follow.

The sound is potentially good if you dial in the right settings. Personally I play a lot of hard rock and blues and I tend to use the 'modern gain' setting as this one sounds less "digital." I use an '90s shredder, Yamaha RGX-821D guitar and Marshall AVT-100 combo. I just push the compression up a tad and the gain to 3 o'clock. The trick is getting the EQ balance right with the amp. It's not great for versatility but the delay and noise gates work well. Everything else is pretty average. A guitar with low output tends to be more suited to this unit. My mate's Gibson SG struggled to get a nice sound out of the V-AMP. It all depends on your instrument.

I have used it live enough times to say "yes." I have owned it for five years and it works fine still. It's lucky dip what you get from Behringer really, whether you get a dud or a goody. Nothing has stopped working on mine. Just be gentle with it. I would take it to a gig without backup. I trust it surprisingly. I would give it another five years and keep using it. The expression pedal will be the first to stop working as this seems to be the weaker element. But the wah is crap anyway. It seems a little delicate. Just be careful with it, don't stomp on it too hard or anything.

It tends to work well with lead playing, like soloing and lead riffing. I play a bit of Maiden and it seems to sound good on the "modern gain." The problem is if you put too many settings into your patch it causes a lag between one patch and the next. But keeping the settings limited allows for smooth transitioning (from clean to drive). I like it as it is the only pedal that works for lead stuff with my guitar. It gives you a nice boost to let hammer-ons and subtle playing stand out clear, but I still go analogue for rhythm stuff. I would buy another one.