FTN-525 F-Tuner review by Belcat

Belcat: FTN-525 F-Tuner

Price paid: £ 24.99

Purchased from: ebay.co.uk "mango music"

I run this through a Vox AD15VT on my Ibanez RG321MH, it's stays permanently connected to my rig. It has no effect on the tone of my guitar what so ever. There is a very very quiet click sound through the amp when a note is displayed. This is only when on bypass/tuning mode and only when used with a power pack. This click sound has something to do with shorting the output jack to earth so there is NO switch pop I think. The sound doesn't effect anything and I hardly notice it even with full volume and/or gain. Is it "true bypass"? I have only had a quick look and the switch is a 3PDT mounted to the PCB, the resistance between the in and out is zero. So please draw your own conclusion on TB.

Overall I am happy I bought this one over others on the market, especially for the price. It works perfectly all the time, it's been left on powered from the power pack ever since I got it. Huge Display is it's best point, poor battery life a down point but for me I prefer to have the light and run it off the power pack. Works on bass and guitar very well (A0-C8 range). I recommend this and would buy again. The only two foot pedal tuners I personally would consider is this and the Korg Pitchblack. Pitchblack has a couple of extra display modes so overall for the price I thought it wasn't worth it. This does as equally a good job if not better because of the display. This product has also been sold as Crossfire, ModZone, Cruzer, Rockburn...

I have had this a year or so and was so pleased I bought two more for my mates. It is completely dependable and fairly strong. The only slight drawback is there is a Blue LED on all the time during playing so it uses batteries fairly quickly, you remove the instrument jack to switch it off completely. I always run my tuner from a power pack 9V it is centre negative so some rigs may need a converter cable. I have still left my 9V PP3 battery in so I can use it on battery power when required.

My trusty belcat f-tuner ftn-525, compact easy to use Chromatic Tuner. Came with no instrutions but what is there to explain, patch in patch out. Push to bypass, simples. I bought this over other popular models as it's has the largest and clearest display I have seen on a tuner pedal. It has a red 20mm seven segment display for the note and large sharp symbol. A strip of 11 LED's; 10 red, 1 green - act like a standard tuner. (green in the middle when in tune type system) This strip also displays the reference frequency (435-445hz) while it's adjusted, this is done simply with the two buttons on top (b,#). It comes set at standard 440hz. Very pleased with the clearity of display and ease of use.

sixwheeledbeast
    I did put somewhere when i did the review but it's not been but in GBP24.99 plus GBP2 Postage.
    moodymuppet
    I think the Belcat pedal instructions on the back say to unplug either the input or output lead as this will cause the battery to drain, maybe doing this would give you extra battery life.
    Woollyfuller
    I have one of these and I 100% support the review above - really good pedal for the price. Rarely will I buy brands that I don't recognise, bu this was purchased for me and does a great job. Only downside for me is the clipping noise through the amp when in use, but for 30 its half the cost of a Boss / Polytune so an oddity is liveable!
    sixwheeledbeast
    Just found this review again while looking though some of my old tabs. After about 4 years of moderate use this tuner finally died, a while back. My friends one is working fine but that rarely gets used now. I can't actually recall what it died from now. I think the footswitch give up and I couldn't find a like for like replacement. I moved to a Polytune which I am really happy with. The display on the Polytune is smaller but equally as clear, it also has auto brightness which is very useful. I still standby my review, for the price it was a good basic tuner. I would probably give it a few less points for durability but for my first tuner it was a good purchase.