FTN-525 F-Tuner Review

manufacturer: Belcat date: 08/27/2009 category: Guitar Effects

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Belcat: FTN-525 F-Tuner
It works perfectly all the time. Huge Display is it's best point, poor battery life a down point.
 Ease of Use: 10
 8.9
 9.8
 2,710
review (1) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
FTN-525 F-Tuner Reviewed by: sixwheeledbeast, on august 27, 2009

Price paid: £ 24.99

Purchased from: ebay.co.uk "mango music"

Ease of Use: My trusty belcat f-tuner ftn-525, compact easy to use Chromatic Tuner. Came with no instrutions but what is there to explain, patch in patch out. Push to bypass, simples. I bought this over other popular models as it's has the largest and clearest display I have seen on a tuner pedal. It has a red 20mm seven segment display for the note and large sharp symbol. A strip of 11 LED's; 10 red, 1 green - act like a standard tuner. (green in the middle when in tune type system) This strip also displays the reference frequency (435-445hz) while it's adjusted, this is done simply with the two buttons on top (b,#). It comes set at standard 440hz. Very pleased with the clearity of display and ease of use. // 10

Sound: I run this through a Vox AD15VT on my Ibanez RG321MH, it's stays permanently connected to my rig. It has no effect on the tone of my guitar what so ever. There is a very very quiet click sound through the amp when a note is displayed. This is only when on bypass/tuning mode and only when used with a power pack. This click sound has something to do with shorting the output jack to earth so there is NO switch pop I think. The sound doesn't effect anything and I hardly notice it even with full volume and/or gain. Is it "true bypass"? I have only had a quick look and the switch is a 3PDT mounted to the PCB, the resistance between the in and out is zero. So please draw your own conclusion on TB. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had this a year or so and was so pleased I bought two more for my mates. It is completely dependable and fairly strong. The only slight drawback is there is a Blue LED on all the time during playing so it uses batteries fairly quickly, you remove the instrument jack to switch it off completely. I always run my tuner from a power pack 9V it is centre negative so some rigs may need a converter cable. I have still left my 9V PP3 battery in so I can use it on battery power when required. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I am happy I bought this one over others on the market, especially for the price. It works perfectly all the time, it's been left on powered from the power pack ever since I got it. Huge Display is it's best point, poor battery life a down point but for me I prefer to have the light and run it off the power pack. Works on bass and guitar very well (A0-C8 range). I recommend this and would buy again. The only two foot pedal tuners I personally would consider is this and the Korg Pitchblack. Pitchblack has a couple of extra display modes so overall for the price I thought it wasn't worth it. This does as equally a good job if not better because of the display. This product has also been sold as Crossfire, ModZone, Cruzer, Rockburn... // 10

More Belcat reviews rating category latest review
+ Acoustic 25C 7.8 Guitar Amplifiers 08/20/2014