Phaser Ph-8 Review

8.3
 1,765
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Phaser Ph-8 Reviewed by: drankthewine, on march 10, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay (brand new)

Ease of Use: 2 intensity switches, one for width, the other for height, = 4 different settings. This is basically the same as the MXR Phase 100. Which is fine. Mine didn't come with a manual, but you have to be a knucklehead not to figure it out. // 9

Sound: I'm running a Guild Bluebird Standard through a Marshall 100w JCM 800. Something you should know: This is a 9.6v, DC 200 mA power requirement. I used a daisy chain and this phaser would not work properly; meaning when the left intensity was turned to the "up" position, a clicking and crackling sound came out. However, I bought a SupaCharger power supply(which regulates and supplies each output independently) and it now sounds fantastic. The 4 settings each have their own little brew and they're all tasty. The speed is responsive and gives that good curvy bounce when turned all the way. This pedal is very clean and it's deep. Plenty deep, which is what it's all about with a phaser, right? Note: They say this is a true bypass. However, I've heard the only way to tell a true bypass is to unplug the power, take out the battery, and then see if the signal still goes through. This happens with my Vintage Crybaby, but not the Biyang. So I tested the quality by putting it next to all my other pedals and this pedal is quiet as a church mouse when it's off. No issues for me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Biyang Phaser comes in a sweet looking chrome box. The speed knob has some good resistance when turning, meaning it's not flighty or flimsy. I like the light Switch intensity switches. The On/Off button is solid, but there is a popping feel to it like you get with these kinds of buttons. Seems durable, looks and feels strong, but I've only had it a few days so I can't hand out a top rating for this category. // 7

Overall Impression: Okay. I've been on a buying frenzy lately, so I bought this Biyang Phaser because of the 1) Price, and 2) because their web site really touted the true bypass and craftsmanship. I will say this, for the money, this is as good as it gets. It's a sweet pedal without the price, but with it, it's a crazy bargain. It really sounds great. Just get your power supply in order and you'll be happy. I have Vintage TS-9, DM-3, CryBaby, amongst others, so I'm not a cheap-o, but I would definitely buy another one of these if it was stolen. I'm really happy with it so far. // 8

Comments