RV-10 Tri Reverb review by Biyang

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Biyang: RV-10 Tri Reverb

Price paid: A$ 70

Purchased from: Ebay

I'm using this with a Gibson Les Paul Standard (2012) through a 5 watt Marshall tube amp as this amp has no on-board reverb. Predominantly this unit is to fatten up my distorted rhythm and lead tones which it does extremely well placed after a Boss Turbo Distortion stomp box. For clean I put this after a cheap compression unit and you can get some real extremes, floaty, churchy ambience that really chimes or use it just to give your clean soloing a fuller tone ala David Gilmore. For its price it really punches above its weight and is comparable to some of those classic sounding Fender amps.

I do love the sound of this thing. I've been playing for almost 25 years and from my experience it does offers a diverse range of reverbs quite authentically and will please players in almost any genre. I chose it because I was too cheap to splash out a little extra on a EH Holy Grail or something similar. I wasn't disappointed with the sound as it competes very well, it was the lack of quality build that turned me off. I don't think I would buy another if I lost it or more likely if it fell apart. Given that, it would take some convincing for me to buy any other Biyang products. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

Ok, here where things get disappointing. Despite this being a sturdily built unit my first problem was trying to get a 9v battery into it. I managed to get the 9v into the battery cavity but was then unable to re-attached the battery cavity lid properly because it wouldn't fit back on properly with the battery inside it. No matter how hard I tried to re-arrange the battery inside the cavity and force the lid down, the bloody thing just wouldn't fit back on. So yes this was annoying but a power supply was provided with the unit which initially solved that problem. Another thing I noticed was that the bright blue LED that indicates that the unit is in use has a mind of its own. Sometimes its fine other times it goes on and off on its own accord. For days even it wouldn't go on at all and then some days it would. The final straw came when I was organizing my cables and power leads and went to unplug the power supply of this unit from the mains and nearly electrocuted myself when the whole power supply just fell apart in my hands.

Great sounding reverb unit. Very easy to dial in some beautiful reverb sounds. Two big dials for Blend and Time. Blend being your dry to wet signal dial and time being your reverb time and amount obviously. You have three reverb settings available to you via a three-way toggle switch these being Hall, Spring and room. There is also an A and B two-way toggle switch that seems to act like a tone control with A offering bright sparkly tones and B offering more subdued, lush tones. No manual was included with my unit and it is True Bypass which seems to be de rigeur these days.