RV-10 Tri Reverb Review

manufacturer: Biyang date: 05/14/2015 category: Guitar Effects
Biyang: RV-10 Tri Reverb
Great sounding reverb unit. Very easy to dial in some beautiful reverb sounds.
 Reliability & Durability: 4.5
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 7.5
 11,690
reviews (2) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
RV-10 Tri Reverb Reviewed by: Flamejob, on july 31, 2013

Price paid: A$ 70

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Great sounding reverb unit. Very easy to dial in some beautiful reverb sounds. Two big dials for Blend and Time. Blend being your dry to wet signal dial and time being your reverb time and amount obviously. You have three reverb settings available to you via a three-way toggle switch these being Hall, Spring and room. There is also an A and B two-way toggle switch that seems to act like a tone control with A offering bright sparkly tones and B offering more subdued, lush tones. No manual was included with my unit and it is True Bypass which seems to be de rigeur these days. // 8

Sound: I'm using this with a Gibson Les Paul Standard (2012) through a 5 watt Marshall tube amp as this amp has no on-board reverb. Predominantly this unit is to fatten up my distorted rhythm and lead tones which it does extremely well placed after a Boss Turbo Distortion stomp box. For clean I put this after a cheap compression unit and you can get some real extremes, floaty, churchy ambience that really chimes or use it just to give your clean soloing a fuller tone ala David Gilmore. For its price it really punches above its weight and is comparable to some of those classic sounding Fender amps. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Ok, here where things get disappointing. Despite this being a sturdily built unit my first problem was trying to get a 9v battery into it. I managed to get the 9v into the battery cavity but was then unable to re-attached the battery cavity lid properly because it wouldn't fit back on properly with the battery inside it. No matter how hard I tried to re-arrange the battery inside the cavity and force the lid down, the bloody thing just wouldn't fit back on. So yes this was annoying but a power supply was provided with the unit which initially solved that problem. Another thing I noticed was that the bright blue LED that indicates that the unit is in use has a mind of its own. Sometimes its fine other times it goes on and off on its own accord. For days even it wouldn't go on at all and then some days it would. The final straw came when I was organizing my cables and power leads and went to unplug the power supply of this unit from the mains and nearly electrocuted myself when the whole power supply just fell apart in my hands. // 2

Overall Impression: I do love the sound of this thing. I've been playing for almost 25 years and from my experience it does offers a diverse range of reverbs quite authentically and will please players in almost any genre. I chose it because I was too cheap to splash out a little extra on a EH Holy Grail or something similar. I wasn't disappointed with the sound as it competes very well, it was the lack of quality build that turned me off. I don't think I would buy another if I lost it or more likely if it fell apart. Given that, it would take some convincing for me to buy any other Biyang products. Video from YouTube:

// 5

RV-10 Tri Reverb Reviewed by: guitarsngear, on may 14, 2015

Purchased from: donnerdeal.com

Ease of Use: Reverb pedals don't get much easier than this one - except for maybe the Holy Grail. Flip a switch to select your reverb type - Hall, Spring or Room. Then use the two large knobs to dial in the blend of wet/dry you want and the time (depth) of the reverb and play. It's a great balance of simplicity and functionality. An EQ might be nice for tweaking the sound but the designers already dialed in a pretty good tone that is very useable. There is also the A/B mode switch if want to make use of that feature. // 9

Sound: The pedal offers 3 reverbs - Room, Hall and Spring and each one delivers a nice useable reverb on the "B" setting. The pedal is quiet and plays nice i.e. no unwanted noise or artefacts by having it in your chain. The Hall and Room sound the same, just with more or less depth available on the hall or room setting respectively. The spring is not overly springy, which I like, but does offer a different flavour from the room or the hall. All of the reverbs are clean and smooth and blend nicely into your sound to give you a little more depth and thickness. The "A" setting gives a more dramatic effect, providing more depth to the reverb and also more gain on the signal which can result in some overdriving of the signal. I personally only use the "B" setting on the pedal as I don't really like the "A" setting effect. This pedal is great if you want a nice sounding basic reverb like what you might find built into an amp. This is not the pedal to get if you want tons of options, a wide range of tones, or huge cavernous reverbs, but what it does it does well. The pedal is also true bypass which means that you don't get any reverb tails when you turn the pedal off. I use it mainly for my clean tone for worship music, and have another reverb that I have set to a larger reverb for more ambient drones and swells. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is housed in a solid metal box that feels really sturdy. The true bypass stomp switch is also sturdy feeling. The control knobs have a nice feel to them, very smooth and solid feeling. While I haven't had any issues with the mini toggle switches, because of the size they do feel a little more fragile then I would like and are likely the point at which you will have a failure on the pedal if it is thrown into a bag and getting banged around. Other than that the pedal is rock solid. If you take care of it you probably won't have any issues. // 7

Overall Impression: A simple, nice sounding straight forward reverb that hits its mark. As stated above this pedal isn't meant to compete with big option reverbs, its meant to be simple, provide basic reverb and to sound good doing it. In the "B" setting mode you would be hard pressed to find a setting that you couldn't use, and the "A" setting not being great doesn't really take away from the pedal because its more like bonus feature - not a selling point - at least for me. Another nice feature is the ability to run in mono or stereo, or to take a mono input and make it a stereo output. For the price of this pedal you can't go wrong, and it doesn't just sound "good for the money," it just plain sounds good. // 8

Comments