Musket Fuzz review by Blackout Effectors

Blackout Effectors: Musket Fuzz

Purchased from: Blackout Effectors

I'm using with a PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow (mahogany body, two humbuckers) or a Fender Strat through a Vox AC15. This pedal is based off the Russian Big Muff, but has been tweaked. It's very versatile, especially with the Mids and Focus controls. It does an amazing 'slight-breakup, just a little hair' tone, all the way to absolutely huge wall-of-doom fuzz, and everything between. It can do that wonderful Russian Muff tone, to a more modern distortion, to old-school fuzz. On high gain settings, this pedal does add some noise, but not enough to be a problem.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this pedal. It's so versatile that it's become my go-to distortion tone. I play folk, to doom metal, and everything between, and this is great match for anything, with a change of setting. I love how whatever I play, which can be very random, it still can keep up with a rich fuzz tone, at whatever gain level. It's inspired me to play more. If it was stolen, I'd have to buy another. It's become a key part of my rig.

The Musket Fuzz is built extremely well, just like all Blackout Effectors pedals. I wouldn't hesitate to tour with this pedal. It's built to survive anything you could throw at it, or throw it at. I wouldn't hesitate to gig it without a backup, and I think I can depend on it to be my go to fuzz/distortion tone for a long, long time.

Although this pedal looks complicated with six knobs, you'll find it a challenge to find a tone you won't like. The bottom three knobs are self-explanatory, Fuzz, Tone, and Volume. The top three adds more fun to the mix, with Pre (preamp), Mids, and Focus. The Pre control is a built in clean boost to add more gain, and coax even more delicious fuzz out of this pedal. The mids knob controls your mid-frequencies, which can go from super-scooped, to flat. The focus knob controls how loose or tight the bass response is, and overall note definition.

Trassi
    Just ordered one from PGS and cant wait. These sound amasing.