Musket Fuzz Review

manufacturer: Blackout Effectors date: 09/22/2009 category: Guitar Effects

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Blackout Effectors: Musket Fuzz
 2,873
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Musket Fuzz Reviewed by: Mitchell?, on september 22, 2009

Purchased from: Blackout Effectors

Ease of Use: Although this pedal looks complicated with six knobs, you'll find it a challenge to find a tone you won't like. The bottom three knobs are self-explanatory, Fuzz, Tone, and Volume. The top three adds more fun to the mix, with Pre (preamp), Mids, and Focus. The Pre control is a built in clean boost to add more gain, and coax even more delicious fuzz out of this pedal. The mids knob controls your mid-frequencies, which can go from super-scooped, to flat. The focus knob controls how loose or tight the bass response is, and overall note definition. // 9

Sound: I'm using with a PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow (mahogany body, two humbuckers) or a Fender Strat through a Vox AC15. This pedal is based off the Russian Big Muff, but has been tweaked. It's very versatile, especially with the Mids and Focus controls. It does an amazing 'slight-breakup, just a little hair' tone, all the way to absolutely huge wall-of-doom fuzz, and everything between. It can do that wonderful Russian Muff tone, to a more modern distortion, to old-school fuzz. On high gain settings, this pedal does add some noise, but not enough to be a problem. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Musket Fuzz is built extremely well, just like all Blackout Effectors pedals. I wouldn't hesitate to tour with this pedal. It's built to survive anything you could throw at it, or throw it at. I wouldn't hesitate to gig it without a backup, and I think I can depend on it to be my go to fuzz/distortion tone for a long, long time. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I'm very pleased with this pedal. It's so versatile that it's become my go-to distortion tone. I play folk, to doom metal, and everything between, and this is great match for anything, with a change of setting. I love how whatever I play, which can be very random, it still can keep up with a rich fuzz tone, at whatever gain level. It's inspired me to play more. If it was stolen, I'd have to buy another. It's become a key part of my rig. // 9

More Blackout Effectors reviews rating category latest review