Whetstone Review

manufacturer: Blackout Effectors date: 05/22/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Blackout Effectors: Whetstone
This pedal looks complicated, it's super easy to get great tones out of it. Set all the knobs at noon, all the switches down, and you've got a great phaser tone.
 Ease of Use: 9
 9.9
 9.8
 1,562
review (1) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Whetstone Reviewed by: Mitchell?, on may 22, 2009

Purchased from: Pro Guitar Shop.com

Ease of Use: Although, this pedal looks complicated, it's super easy to get great tones out of it. Set all the knobs at noon, all the switches down, and you've got a great phaser tone. All it takes is some familiarity with the knobs & switches and you have a smorgasborg of great tones in one pedal, from Small Stone, to Univibe, to ring modulator, to radio fuzz. It's hard not to get a good tone out of this pedal. It comes with a very helpful manual, which describes the functions off all knobs and switches in a very understandable way. Even if you're one of those people that loves simplicity, this pedal will make sense to you. // 9

Sound: I'm using this with a PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow through a Vox AC15. This makes a great clean rig, and a awesome post-rock setup in combination with my Boss DD-7. I did notice the Whetstone added a very little bit of noise, but it's hardly noticeable. On higher 'Rate' settings, this pedal will oscillate by the way. I bought this pedal to cover lots of phase tones, specifically The Appleseed Cast and Radiohead. It nails both of those bands tones, and I'm very happy with it. This pedal does Univibe tones on the Asymmetric mode, and Leslie tones in the Vibrato mode with 2 stages. Not to mention, this pedal nails those super sweet EHX Small Stone tones. The 'Ring' mode isn't exactly like a ring-modulator, but it's very good. It'll oscillate in this mode too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure I can depend on this pedal, it's in a very durable die-cast box that looks very high-quality. Also, the internal wiring is very neat, clean, and professional. I can't imagine I'll have any internal problems. I would definitely use this pedal on a gig without a backup, it looks ready to rock n' roll. Not to mention I don't think I can afford a backup! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I'm very impressed with this pedal. It's great match for any music I play, from Indie, to post-rock, to classic-rock, to funk etc. etc. This pedal excels in any musical situation. If this pedal was stolen from me, I don't know what I'd do. It's become a key part of my rig, I love to use super-slow phase settings for clean tones on anything. I love that it is so versatile. I was planning on getting a Small Stone, but when I heard about the Whetstone, I knew I needed this pedal. The sheer versatility, and plethora of tones in this pedal justify it's cost. It's basically 4 or 5, super-versatile, boutique, high-quality pedals in one stompbox. // 10

Comments