HT-DIST review by Blackstar

Blackstar: HT-DIST

Purchased from: eBay

I play an ESP LTD EC 401 FM into a Fender Super Sonic 60 1x12 Combo. I use this pedal for most of my playing which consists of Metal, Alternative Metal, Post Rock and a bit of punk. This pedal handles them all with ease, the valve circuitry provides a warm, organic distortion that can be either gritty for alternative styles or tighter for more traditional heavy styles. The one thing I am not sure about is the ISF. I've played a few Blackstar amps with this control and it seems to work well in that setting, but on this pedal it needs a bit more work. When firmly in USA territory it can sound quite over-scooped, when back in the UK it can sound muddy. The best setting I found is to have the ISF in the middle with the Bass rolled off to about 10 or 11 o'clock, the Treble boosted to 1 or 2 o'clock and the Middle set to 12 o'clock, thus setting keeps the Bass in check without sounding muddy and adds in enough Mids to avoid over-scooping. The gain has a good sweep from OD style breakup to barely-in-control aggression, mostly I keep it at about 2 o'clock. The emualted output doesn't really impress on its own, but through some delay in post and it sounds convincing.

This pedal provided me with exactly the distortion I was looking for, masses of gain but with a true, valve powered and organic tone. Again, the ISF needs some work but this is by no means a disqualifying fault as, admittedly, I am a 'find a setting and stick with it' kind of player and there is a fantastic sweet spot on this pedal that, no matter what you do with the Gain and Level controls, it sounds fantastic. Before this I has a Boss MT-2 and truth be told, I don't know why I didn't buy the Blackstar sooner, it provides the rich, warm over-tones that give your tone the authenticity that digital distortion just can't provide. This pedal is likely to remain with me for many happy years to come.

Like most Blackstar products this pedal is made of top-quality components, the chassis is comprised of durable, high quality steel and the pots are solid as a rock. All-in-all I would depend on this pedal totally.

This unit is pretty simple to use with standard Gain, 3 band EQ and Level controls. It also has the addition of the innovative Blackstar Infinite Shape Feature (ISF) that allows you to sweep through from a scooped american sound through to a thicker, british style voicing. It also has a grill over the internal ECC83 Valve allowing you to see it glowing away as you play which is a cool feature. It came with a manual and a power supply, quite useful as finding a 16v power supply could prove a little difficult. The one proviso is that it is a hefty beast, taking up a lot of room on the board.