HT-DISTX review by Blackstar

Blackstar: HT-DISTX

Purchased from: Big Deal Music

I am using a Parker P42 with stock Parker Stinger pickups, and playing through a Laney LX65R. The HT-DISTX beats the living crap out of the gain channel of the amp, giving off a great valve gain tone and reacting like it should. Turning it to the American sound gives off a very good Marshall default tone, whilst set to British it creates a brilliant Hiwatt or Laney sound, if not a little more woody. It does get a little noisy once the gain is set as high as possible, and rightly so. This beast packs so much gain, I can understand why it is labelled as 'Pure Valve Filth'. I've heard that it doesn't like Wah pedals, but I don't own one. Every other effect I have tried with it sounds fantastic, and it has given my amp a new lease of life. The only down side I had with this pedal is the claim in the manual that the mids will give a richer lead tone. For me it just made the tone sound too thick once hte mids were cranked.

I play a lot of high gain modern rock, alternative rock, grunge and metal, but this thing suits anything if you tinker with the settings enough, and since it reacts just like a valve amp it's well worth it. I compared this to a Boss Metal Zone, DigiTech Grunge and Boss Hyper Metal, and I felt the HT-DISTX was much better and more natural sounding of all of them. I have played a Boss OC3 Super Octave through this and instantly got a CKY tone, which I love. Defiantely a pedal worth owning.

I would depend on this and maybe gig without a backup. It's built like a tank, and about the same size and weight of one as well. As much as the weight is a factor, it is very much worth it for me, and it is understandable since the pedal houses a valve.

Unbelievably easy to use; just set your gain level, adjust the Bass, mids and treble, then decide on the ISF tone (fully CW for a British, woody tone and fully CCW for an American, growling-mids tone). There are some default settings on the back of the manual provided: american high gain, british high gain and classic crunch.

hellview_666
    Vrstone87 wrote: how much was it? лол
    hmmm..stupid UG didn't put the price I added on. It was 99.99
    p2fyre
    ChazBcWarlock
    Ethereal Reaper
    ChazBcWarlock wrote: p2fyre wrote: i tried this at the weekend.. The tone is very similar to Alice in Chains. It's not a tight metal sound that some people will be looking for. But if you want a full / beefy tone.. this is the pedal for you. It's quite a noisy pedal.. so you're best using a noise suppressor after it. If you want a tight but thick metal sound, the Digitech Metal Master is the daddy! The Boss MT-2, or ML-2 (Metal Zone and Metal Core) are very thin and tinny sounding. The DISTX is going to be loved by people who like that kind of hard rock.. alice in chains, black label society sound. But be warned! it is very noisy!! i totally disagreed i tried with a laney lc50 and it is by fat the best overdrive pedal out there for metal, its all valve, feels like a boutique pedal its worth the money
    i agree completely capable for all metal genres "let metal go with you always"
    mobbsy
    Bought one of these today. Went to good local guitar shop with vague intention to upgrade a soft volume boost pedal I had and walked out with this pedal instead. I play through a Marshall Valvestate 2000 which was all I could afford at the time. Play gigs, (middle of the road covers) with a guy who has a lovely Les Paul-valve Fender combo and I feel like less of a man! On my own, my taste runs more to Led Zep, Queen, Jimi, Cream, Floyd, Vai, Maiden, Metallica, David Lee Roth, Whitesnake, Extreme, NIN, Jane's Addiction, Peter Gabriel, Zappa, Nick Cave, Dio, Police, Soundgarden, Tenacious D... Using my Washburn N4, (I used my cash for that), this pedal took a totally clean solid state sound and gave me immediate very full-on, creamy distortion. Any note on the fret board just held and held, fed back with octave harmonics then returned to the same vanilla-buttery initial note. I didn't set out to buy a distortion pedal, but got so excited by this one that I lined up a couple others, (Fat Pickle etc.). NOTHING came close, this is a seriously nice distorted sound. Checked it through a Vox AC30, just in case, and it still did well ,(although not as good, to my ears!). Therefore, I'd recommend this to all of you who are 'putting up with' a cheaper amp until that day, but need that big, fat, sensitive, clear, highly distorted sound. It is noisy. I'll be getting a noise gate next, and a compressor for my clean tone... Any ideas?
    vennaco
    The Unforgiven. Check out this vid on youtube and it will answer your question. Seriously nice tone!