AC-2 Acoustic Simulator Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 06/06/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: AC-2 Acoustic Simulator
Turn your electric guitar into an acoustic using four distinct modes: standard, jumbo, enhance, and piezo. Two individual outputs permit instant switching between different amps (one for electric sounds; one of acoustic).
 Ease of Use: 9.5
 8.2
 9.9
 6.4
 3,904
reviews (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
AC-2 Acoustic Simulator Reviewed by: Crimsonashes, on december 29, 2006

Purchased from: sam ash

Ease of Use: This product is very easy to get a sound out of. The battery compartment is about the easiest thing to open, which is uncommon, usually because other models make you pinch the sides, this little guy just lets you unscrew something in the front, and viola, you have yourself a easy battery change. The manual is self descriptive, however this pedal is discontinued, and they are usually factory re-seals so don't count on a manual. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with a Line 6 Spider II 15 watt amp and a brownville guitar and it's very easy to achieve a full bodied acoustic sound out of this one. It is also possible to get a hollow-sounding sound, such like those found in semi acoustic-electric guitars. It does not get noisy, but this is mainly because it is an acoustic simulator and these pedals do not require high gain. The effects all sound superb! There are four options, standard, jumbo, enhance, and piezo. All these have unique characteristics, ranging from standard(a common acoustic, homely) to enhance and jumbo (above common acoustic). I can play some good jet songs on here, plus in combo with a distortion pedal I can play some good Breaking Benjamin breakdowns. haha disregard the pun. Anyway this pedal is fully capable of capturing most acoustic stuff. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Oh man this thing can take a beating. It's solid metal construction and the red led light is below the pedal, and the knobs are out of the way for the most part, although not submerged in the pedal like some professional models. If I went on the road, or to a gig I would use it, although I'd just make sure that the pedal wouldn't crap out on me at the moment I need it for say a bridge, also buy an ac adapter. It's just easier for gigs and such like. I would use this pedal on stage. Awesome pedal. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that for $69 you can't go wrong. This pedal allows me to play 3 Doors Down, Goo Goo Dolls, Breaking Benjamin, jet, allman brothers, among others. it's just a good pedal, it even sounds nice with the sond everything changes by Staind. The pedal works. I would buy it again if it were stolen, and the only thing I hate is that this pedal does not have the extra reverb button that the AC-3 Boss pedal has. Although it works just fine with the built in reverb on my amp. // 10

AC-2 Acoustic Simulator Reviewed by: ~Voodoo_Chile~, on june 06, 2008

Price paid: A$ 300

Purchased from: Allans Music

Ease of Use: Fairly instinctual to use, one quick read of the manual will fill you in on what can be done on the RC-2. I found a few problems with the auto "loop quantizing" that if you have a slightly strange rhythm when playing guitar ie adding a couple of trills will throw the Precision "guide" and put it two double or even triple tempo. This was no real drama as you can manually tap out the tempo then record your loop over the top. This is great for solo practice, the first day I had it I played from 10am till at least 12pm at night and my fingers gave up. The possibilities are limitless. I have heard a lot of people only talking about it as a prac Tool. This thing is great for a band, you can really get some tripy shit going on. I have played gigs with it has never let me down. that fact you have to bend down I don't think matters, plus you can always attach more foot controls if need be. The only thing I dislike about this pedal is you can only delete the last track you layed. // 9

Sound: Great sound, no buzz, pretty much what you put in comes out. a must is a distortion pedal of some kind. if you have your loops going into an amp with gain things get really muddy, not to mention when you have the drums playing. I go from Axe > wah wah ext... > TS-9 > RC-2 > JCM 800. The drums are cheesy as hell but what do you expect, when you have 4 layers of guit on top you don't really notice them anyway. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its Boss, built tough, never had a prob with their stuff. can't really give an opinion on the help line or soo on, I can say I wouldn't run this thing on battery power, get an adapter for it. Switches and buttons seam sturdy enough and the paint job on these don't scratch too easily. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from Hendrix to Tool. Blues or hard rock this thing is tops. I have been amazed at what sounds I have been able to create, and the great thing is at a flick of a Switch you can save them, nothing gets lost into the stratosphere unless you want it too. If it where stolen I would buy it again, Hmm if I could afford it I would maybe get an RC-20. Those Who aren't willing to fork out the $500(aus)though wont be disappointed by this pedal, great value. // 10

Comments