BD-2 Blues Driver review by Boss

Boss: BD-2 Blues Driver

Purchased from: Dawson's Music

I use a 60W Hughes And Kettner Blue edition amp. A 93 Les Paul Studio, A Tanglewood 335 copy, a 1956 Harmony rocket and a home made strat as my main guitars. Surprisingly this pedal works with all of my guitars! I find using the guitar settings can create a variation of sounds without having a mad 12 foot long pedal board. I can get anything from a soft Grunge to a heavy crunchy metal by using the tone. I use no other pedals as I see no need, and no distortion from the amp as this pedal does it all. The only suggestion would be to have a EQ pedal just to use as a boost for solo's (or you could use the guitar volume).

I play anything form classical rock to modern punk/rock. And this pedal does it all. I set up the pedal once and haven't changed the settings since, using the selector swith on the guitars and messing with the guitar tones gives me enough variety but still keeping my sound. I've een playign for about 8 years but I know people who have been playing for 40 years and think this is the dogs bollocks. I have spent the last 3 or 4 years looking for a great drive and have bought around 15 distortian pedals looking for it and sold them on because they didn't cut the cheese. I believe I have definately found it with this! I would recommend this pedal to anyone looking for a great rock sound. It is probably the best pedal I have come across. The only thing that could make this better would be to put a boost into it, but I cant really see how that would be possible.

As with all Boss pedals this is built to last. This pedal is strong, but nothing you wouldn't expect from a Boss. I stomp on the pedal with all my might and it just stays solid. Definately a gigger. I use a re-chargeable battery in it and as long as I charge it up before the gig it lasts for several hours. The only thing I would suggest is being careful when changing the battery as the wires could easily be pulled out.

I couldn't think of an easier pedal to use. You plug it in and turn the knobs. Three knobs, level, tone and gain. Level simply turns the volume up and down. Gain is self explanitary. Tone is the real deal, using this along with the gain can create sounds from a soft fuzz to an extreme metal crunch. The manual I got with mine gives a few examples of use but I found it easier to fiddle and see what happens.