BD-2 Blues Driver review by Boss

Boss: BD-2 Blues Driver

I play mine through a M.R.W. archtop, which is rather satisfactory and a $30 M.R.W. amp, which is not. The pedal itself simulates the sound of a tube amp, meaning you can play it through a crappy solid state (mine for example)and still get an excellent tone. I've never used it with a tube amp though. Though it's called "Blues Driver," its not only useful for blues. It may have been designed for dirty blues, but I can also get great tones for classic rock out of it. Since nearly all artists used distortion and tube amps in the '60s, '70s and '80s it work for just about any artist. I play a lotta Lou Reed and Jeff Beck stuff, if it means anything to you.

As I mostly play dirty blues and rock which the BD-2 for designed for and it was designed well. I got the pedal (by which I mean stole from my brother) maybe half a year ago when I started playing blues. I just today bought a Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer and CH-1 Super Chorus, the CS-3 is a great addition to the BD-2, giving it a popping sound. I've haven't quite got the CH-1 to impress me yet, but I'm not saying it's a bad pedal. If it were lost or stolen (by my brother maybe) I'd cry and eventually replace it. Compared to my DigiTech "Screamin' Blues" distortion/overdrive pedal, I'd say the BD-2 is the better of the two. The DigiTech pedal creats great tones and also simulates a great tube amp sound through my crappy solid state, but it doesn't allow for much experimentation. It is equipped with EQ and gain dials while the BD-2 has a tone and gain dial. I have EQ on my amp, so there's not much I can do with the DigiTech pedal, which I don't care as I like to experiment with tones. The BD-2 allows for experimentation as it includes a tone knob which, in conjunction with the gain know, can produce a wide variety of tones.

I don't know how old mine is. My cousin gave it to my brother when he started playing about to years ago and I don't no when she bought. Nontheless, it work perfectly. With a metal casing it was built to last. If I was so lucky to be payed to play, I'd definatley use it. I may have my DS-1 nearby for hard rock and metal songs I may play, (there wouldn't be many) but the BD-2 would be my main distortion pedal.

Like most Boss products, the BD-2 is a very simple effect. It didn't come with a manual as I stole it from my brother, which is unfortunate because Boss usually includes diagrams for recommended settings. However I have a manual for a Boss DS-1 Distortion, which I can use the the recommended settings for on the BD-2 (the tone and level dials are in reversed position). Of course, it's easy enough to get great tones from that I really don't need a manual.

sheratonplyr369
    I love my BD-2! It may take awhile, but I can get great distortion out of it. Definately buy this if you're looking for a good all around distortion
    TNfootballfan62
    ^I agree with him. Stock, it was nice through my solid state amp, but took away from my tube amps tone a bit. Modded, though, it becomes great.
    steamin'
    duno bout metal mate, but yea its name pretty much tells you what its good for
    HmTownHero1007
    its a goodpedal, but with another overdrive (example Boss OD-1) to function as a solo boost, it just totally kills.