BD-2 Blues Driver review by Boss

Boss: BD-2 Blues Driver

Purchased from: local music store

I'm using an MIA Strat through the blues driver and various other pedals into a Vox AC30CC2. The tones you can get from this pedal are simply beautiful, I tested it head to head with a TS9 and a Zakk Wylde Overdrive and neither compared in my opinion. It is quite versatile and can range from a light bluesy Overdrive to almost metal territory. It has a beautiful smooth Overdrive when set the right way but you can also get a lovely crunch and some grittier distortion out of it when combined with the AC30 cranked. The only place I find it lacking is when used as a booster, it's not quite as transparent as I would like, but I have an SD-1 which does that quite nicely anyway. It seems to have a god buffer and does not suck tone. It is relatively noise free unless you have the gain and level turned up a lot.

I play a lot of styles from soft rock to metal and everything in between. I generally use this pedal for my creamier tones but it can do metal when it wants to. I've been playing for close to 5 years now and I've had plenty of OD and distortion pedals ands this is certainly my favourite for creamy bluesy tones. If it was stolen I'd probably buy it again except this time I'd get it in America because we get ripped off on Boss products here in Ireland. When I bought it, I compared it to a Zakk Wylde Overdrive, a TS9, a Proco Rat and a DigiTech Bad Monkey. This was by far my favourite.

It's Boss, so yes you can depend on it, it's not going to let you down and can withstand the pressures of gigging. I've not had it long but you can tell that it's not going to break any time soon. I use it with a Roland daisy chain but even with the daisy chain I reccomend using a battery aswell in a gig situation in case your daisy chain gets disconnected somehow.

As with all Boss analogue pedals, it couldn't be easier to use. It's got the usual three knobs that you find on most Boss pedals. On this particular pedal they are: Gain, Level and Tone. It's easy to get the sound you want out of it with a bit of time and tweaking. It comes with a manual but you don't really need it for such a simple pedal (although it does give you some nice settings to try out). The battery compartment couldn't be easier to access with it's small thumbscrew on the end of the pedal. It has to get a 10 for ease of use because it couldn't possibly be simpler!