BD-2 Blues Driver review by Boss

Boss: BD-2 Blues Driver

As I said before, I used it with a strat and Fender HRD. We'll start with the general tonality of it. I was expecting some smooth, thick Overdrive tones. I was kind of disappointed when I plugged in, and it gave me kind of tinny and thin tones. When I switched over to an LP, it helped, but I still didn't hear what I wanted. Even with the tone knob all the way down, it still has that shrillness. But that being said, it's a great clean boost. It really fattens up one's tone then. And it can get pretty clean, clean enough not to really see any dirt added. I would imagine that this pedal would really come alive with mods, but stock, I believed it to be "meh". As for noise, it has a little bit of hiss, but it's tolerable. I was expecting some SRV or just general blues tones, but I was disappointed. This gets a 7 in my book. Mainly because I was so disappointed by the overdrive. It is really more like a SD1 but with a little mid spike. But as I said, some mods could really liven it up. But, if it wasn't a good clean boost, it would have gotten a 5 in sound. If you're expecting smooth blues tones, you probably won't get it in this pedal unless you plan on modding.

Overall, I wouldn't pay the retail price for this pedal. I would definetely buy it used, but not new. It just doesn't have the blues tonality IMO. For around the same price, you can get a modded TS7 online, which I did, and I am eternally happy with it. I've been playing for a year, but I've progressed fast in my skills, and I've developed a decent ear for tone. Well, since I didn't buy it, I don't have buyers remorse. If I were to have bought it, and it would have gotten stolen, I'd probably buy something else. Anyways, this a major love/hate pedal. a lot of people seem to love it, but being the tone freak I am, I don't really like it. One can get a couple good tones, but not enough to make it "versatile". Anyways, overall an 8. Because although the sound didn't floor me, it's a tank, and it's moddable. If you do the mods yourself, it's worth it just to buy this pedal to mod it. It probably wouldn't cost much.

It's a Boss pedal, thus it is a tank. I would probably gig without a backup, but I wouldn't use the blues driver as a main pedal. I'd leave that up to my tubescreamer to provide me with all the boosting and Overdrive power I want. It probably has a warranty and such, but I'm not 100% sure since I only played it at a store. But, my SD1 had a warranty. A pretty nice one too. So, there you go for reliability. I rate this a 10, because it's a tank and Boss has always been pretty good with support.

Like the SD1, it's a bit hard to get a good sound out of it. It does have more usable tones than the SD1. So in theory, it is easy enough to get a good sound out of it. And it's an Overdrive, so it's naturally easy. I played this pedal stock in a store. Just for future reference, I used a nice strat through a Fender HRD at the shop on the clean channel. I set all the EQ at linear to show the Blues Driver's natural EQ properties. I give this an 8, because of it's simplicity, but inability to have a lot of easy good tones. You have to fine tune it to get the tones you want.