BD-2 Blues Driver review by Boss

Boss: BD-2 Blues Driver

Purchased from: GC

At the moment I'm playing a Gibson Les Paul Studio through a MGseries50DFX Marshall solid state amp.The only time I get noise from it is if the gain is turned all the way up, but if you're buying this pedal just to turn the gain all the way up, you're buying the wrong pedal. I kept the tone halfway so I can adjust it from my guitar, which I personally prefer, and have a semi low level and just over half gain and I get this biting edgy blues sound that growls or purrs as I please. It's very very awesome, because it responds to the strength of your picking. if you Pick softly it merely purrs at you, and when you attack the strings harder, you think a particularly musical tiger has just entered your room. I haven't been trying to emulate anyone since I got this, but I can tell already that it will be useful for a plethora of artists from the 60s and 70s. It works a treat with delay and reverb, not so much chorus and distortion. But that touch of reverb and delay makes all the difference.

I play blues, 60s/70s/80s/90s rock, all kinds of metal, classical; basically most genres. this is perfect for those 60s blues and 70s classic rock. this is especially true for beck and john mayall clapton. I've been trying to get some of the clapton sound from the bluesbreakers album, and this pedal makes it possible. I've been playing for 5 years, but I don't own that much really. I'm pretty much a purist, preferring to get what tones I could from my amp and guitar. but then I heard my friend play this and I was like 'that's what's missing!' fantastic. So as of now, I own this pedal and Original Crybaby. and of course the two complement each other to infinity. If it were stolen I would definitely buy it again. I love the fact that it does exactly what it says on the box. it drives you to blues. and not just that, it drives you to blues heaven. it's fantastic. don't go trying to play metal on this, but why would you? that would just be silly. I compared this to the tubescreamer, and liked this one much more. the only thing I wish is that it didn't sound as silly as it does with gain all the way up. but then again, I'm not using it that high, so I guess it doesn't matter. The point was to get something to help my LP sound even better, and I think I accomplished that with this pedal. buy one today!

It is solid. I would use this to shield me from a nuclear bomb, confident that no damage would come to it. well clearly not that far, but if I dropped it or something my first reaction would be have I damaged the floor rather than have I damaged the pedal. very durable. I would use it on a gig without backup anytime. I don't know why you would have back up pedals for a gig to be fair, but there you are.

This pedal is easy as hell to use. I tried it out at the effects podium that Guitar center has, where it was connected to some crappy amp and I wasn't too sure. But after all I had heard about it I thought I'd give it a whirl. so I came home and plugged it into my Marshall solid state and it is fantastic. you have to play around with the knobs a bit, as everyone says. I didn't even bother looking at the given presets, cos those are really never useful.