BD-2 Blues Driver review by Boss

Boss: BD-2 Blues Driver

Purchased from: Musicians Freind

This pedal is good for getting a true overdriven tube sound out of. As I had said before, this pedal is a bit difficult to establish an overall sound with, which is why I like to turn down the gain knob and turn up the volume knob to get a booster pedal for solos. The Boss BD-2 is one of the best single Overdrive pedals out there when it comes to taking an already driven amp a bit further. As far as the sound goes, it sounds authentic and real. While I wouldn't recommend it to players Who are craving a metal sound, I would defiantly recommend it to somebody Who wants to play around with something like The Allman Brothers, Albert King, and Eric Clapton. It fits the traditional blues style, but boasting a hard rock sound is pushing it. This pedal gets noisy when you bring the gain knob past the 3 quarter mark (keep in mind, I am using a single coil guitar with this thing).

The Boss BD-2 is great if you are looking for an early '60s blues sound. It is also recommended to people looking for a pedal for a solo boost. However, if you play hard rock or any heavy metal, this is a pedal to stay away from. Only recommended to blues players, but that is saying a lot. Comparing this pedal with others, I would say that this is the second best pedal of its type. If you have the money, I would recommend getting the Ibanez Tube Screamer. While The Boss BD-2 isn't as good, it is still second best.

It's a Boss. Boss has been known to make extremly reliable, well made pedals. I have giged with this pedal, and I had no problems with this pedal once in the 2 years of owning it. This is not a battery eater, and I am happy for that. No backup needed, period.

This pedal did come with a helpful menu which offered some very helpful hints and clues on how to get a good sound out of the pedal. Without the manual, it is a bit difficult to establish a good sound for your overall tone. I more or less think that this is a pretty good pedal when it comes to ease of use, but if you loose the manual, you may find it a little more difficult than I explained.