BD-2 Blues Driver review by Boss

Boss: BD-2 Blues Driver

I use an American Strat (Plus I believe, with 22 frets and a nut with metal bearings, with noiseless DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Area 58's in the neck and middle, and Area 61 in the bridge) through a Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401. Setup is as follows - Guitar, EH LPB-1 Linear Power Boost, Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, Boss BF-3 Flange, Boss DD-20 Giga Delay, Marshall. Sometimes, obviously, it can get noisy with too much gain, like with Tone and Level past 3 o'clock. It can get harsh, too many mids sometimes, but otherwise it is an exceptional Overdrive! The Overdrive can Overdrive a clean channel well enough, or you can layer it over an existing Overdrive also. I've gotten some bare-bones AC/DC out of it, and it's possible to get some rough fuzz at the higher gain settings. Gets some Lincoln Brewster type tones from his Live All to You album. Plays blues, jazz, rock, classic rock, worship, and a few other styles really well. Not for metalheads or the like. Watch out, putting too much tone causes it to get too thin, I always back it off to around 10 o'clock, maybe 12 o'clock max.

I play in several worship teams at church and also in a Christian Rock band, and this fits in perfectly. Between those bands, I play both lead and rhythm interchangeably, separately, and both at once, and this pedal hasn't failed me yet! 4 years I've been playing I think, and I wish I had this a few years earlier! I would definitively consider buying at least 1 if this was stolen, I think it would be interesting to layer 2 BD-2s together. I love everything about it, most people had out 10's and 9's frequently on reviews like this, but this is not your average pedal! I would say that if your looking for a light/medium bluesy Overdrive, this and the MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive are the top 2 within their price range and functionality range.

It's Boss, it'll last 20 years. Please, buy a daisy chain or an individual power supply, I've heard too many guys complain of the batteries dying on ANY pedal, not sure why you would waste the batteries when a daisy chain w/5 9V outputs in $30. Would definitively gig w/out a backup! Boss is always reliable! The simple sample settings included are usually overlooked, but they can really help you form your tone easily.

Great all around pedal! 3 standard knobs, Level, Gain, Tone. All at 12 o'clock it sounds great, good Overdrive sound. Useful as just a plain old boost for solos, also. Worked well as boost and for coloring as an Overdrive on both the Clean and OD1 channels of my Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401 combo. Manual has a few sample settings, Boss's usual. Overall, solid pedal, simple to use! True bypass would be nice, but still an amazing pedal.

Hey_Bulldog
    My BD-2 is possibly my favorite of my Boss pedals because of its wide range. You can use it as a booster of both clean and distortion or it has a wide range of overdrive and can be made to sound anything like the Beatles' distortion to Jimi's