BD-2 Blues Driver review by Boss

Boss: BD-2 Blues Driver

I have the BD-2 in my chain after my CS-2 compressor, before my MT-2 metal zone and Electro Harmonix Holy Grail and lastly a BBE Sonic Stomp before hitting my Crate 2x12 combo. I kick on the BD-2 for increase sustain and harmonics and to fill out the treble of my MT-2. The BD-2 works great in this fasion but doesn't provide enough balls to stand alone in my opinion. It does add dimension but is to gritty and weak sounding for my ears as a stand alone.

Yeah I play metal. Yeah it's a Blues driver. Yeah I like the tone shaping it provides and also the creamy sustain it can add to my MT-2. I've been playing 10 years and have tried p-edals from Danelectro to line -6 and DigiTech. The blues driver is among the best, to my ear, at helping push your tone past those low sustain thresholds without adding too much gain. Try using it like me as a boost not a stand alone distortion box and it will provide years of service.

Boss quality and dependability. I bought it used(and it looks well used)and everything about the pedal is great except the limited gain. Definitely use to Drive your amp distortion or another box cause the sound is dry on it's own. Has a secure place in my rig as a volume boost or to control some of the feedback(yeah, the output of my amp gets lowered when I step on itbecause that is the way I use it with the level low on the BD-2 / compressor and high on the MT-2. very reliable pedal.

The BD-2 has only 3 knobs(level, tone and Drive) so it can't get easier to use. It has a standard 1/4 in. input/output(no stereo) and can be run off 9volt battery or DCplug. I didn't get a manual since I bought it used for $20!! you can't beat that price for Boss quality effects. Blues Driver fits into anyones rig and can be used stand alone or run into another distortion box(like I do) for more saturated tones.

Serjem
    isnt this the 2nd time in like a month for this review to see the light of the 1st page... however seems like a good pedal. might buy it since boss overdrive and distortion are a bit harsh for the blues.
    alex g 38
    I love the dirty, crunchy sound this pedal gives. It's great for so many different types of music: Blues (obviously), classic rock, Punk, and grunge. I always use this pedal when I'm playing any grunge like mudhoney or nirvana, or hard rock like GNR and wolfmother. Such a great pedal.
    travs2448
    Will this give me that slight hard rock crunch. My fender tube amp's clean channel is "Fender Clean" those who dont know what fender clean is its the cleanest of the clean. i like it, i also have a pre amp channel which is to heavy. so will this pedel give me the edge i want if i use it with my clean channel?
    Mr. Tomnus
    hey, does anyone know how this would handle stuff like velvet revolver? i play in a band where the sound is almost exactly halfway between zakk wylde's pride and glory, VR, and hendrix. would this be the pedal for me? or should i look into something like the super overdrive or other distortion pedals?
    guitarNbass
    here's the deal with this pedal. It sounds like shit, unless you are turned up a decent amount. that's how it is on a tube amp atleast. on my ac30, I was getting some pretty eric johnson esque tones with it cranked with the tone at about 10 o'clock. It's a good pedal, but only when your turned up. it has a great volume boost. I'd still rather have the modded version of this pedal or a tubescreamer anyday. but the modded version of this pedal with the fat switch is SO win.