BF-2 Flanger review by Boss

Boss: BF-2 Flanger

Purchased from: Used

BF-2 was very good sounding, really pro quality, a pedal for other people to be jealous of. It was the same used by The Cure, The Cult, The Police, and even Van Halen and Nirvana. Sometimes, maybe due to the pedal conditions when I bought it, it had some little background hiss, but it didnt interfere on the tone. It was no bother. The sound quality of that thing never disappointed me.

The BF-2 Flanger was a great match for the kind of music I was playing, 20 years ago. I could play most pop songs and it added some brightness to some originally played clean. In addition, It gave me a great match with my DF-2 Superfeedbacker, giving presence to the solos. I was originally planning to buy a CE-2 Chorus, also from Boss, but a more experienced friend recommended me the Flanger because it could do everything Chorus did and much more. And he was right. That MIJ thing was superb. I didnt only buy it again, now that I dont have any financial problems, it's because people here in Brazil, where pedals are very overpriced, want ridiculous prices for those Vintage pedals. If I were a professional musician, I could consider having one, since its said the MIJ versions of any Boss pedal are the best. So, I decided to buy something more suitable to my ambitions as a guitar player: a very good Onerr HF-1 Hydrogen Flanger (read review). If you live in a country where the Customs don't overprice any purchases from E-bay, you could safely try buying BF-2, specially if it's MIJ. I could bet your buddies would be jealous... ;)

I bought it really bashed. There was a screw missing in the stomp section, so I had to replace it. There were lots of scratches, some of the knobs, along with the PSU jack, were a bit loosely, but I had no noise problems of any kind. BF-2 looked like getting back from war, but I could see then what everybody already knew: BOSSES are like TANKS. Why should I bother with backups? ;)

BF-2 had 4 knobs: MANUAL, DEPTH, RATE and RES(onance). They allow lots of settings, like Chorus, Jet Flanging, Tremolo, Vibrato and some alien sounds. Because of this flexibility, it took some time to achieve the best tweak, and then I had to take note of the knob positions for not fogetting them, specially for changing them during a show. But I tell you the Flanger was pretty easy to use, considering the number of different combinations it provided.

Smart Patrol
    WesCThomp wrote: Boss makes great pedals. I use a few myself. I have never tried the Flanger but looking into it.
    Try all the Flangers. I watched some BF-3 and others and they sounded very good. The good thing on a Flanger pedal is it can be a Chorus, Phaser and others things in the same unit. To change easily in between songs, you only need a paper with the presets drawn. Thats the way I did with BF-2.
    WesCThomp
    Smart Patrol
    In mine the buttons were all in black, instead of white tops, the very first batch. Maybe thats why it was so good.
    howamidriving?
    i used to have one of these. it was alright, too metallic and sterile sounding for my tastes. i also didnt like how it was hard to get a more subtle sound. just my two cents
    mr_snuggle
    EVHfan316 wrote: Sundis_666 MXR is a line of pedals made buy boss and evh Flanger is one of them
    EVHfan316 wrote: and bosses crybaby wah wah pedals are the best ever made
    -1 MXR is a dunlop brand.
    EVHfan316
    Sundis_666 MXR is a line of pedals made buy boss and evh Flanger is one of them
    Smart Patrol
    Anyway I thank everybody for rating my review. Whether you agree with me or not. I wrote it because I had a very great time using BF-2. It was 20 years ago, but I remember like yesterday. Check it out my DF-2 Superfeedbacker and Distortion and the soon-to-be-released Digitech PDS-2000 Digital Sampler.
    themelodicdeathshow
    Boss pedals are great minus there delays and a few others. There metalzone and metalcore are nice cheap distortions! Cannibal corpse guitarist uses an un modded mt-2 on the clean channel of his triple rec for all the haters that say they suck tell that to him lol
    Smart Patrol
    I think people should listen to other demos besides the OFFICIAL to get into a conclusion about any pedal. However, testing it live is still the best option. Only testing and comparing I could realize how bad the Behringer flanger was and how much better the Onerr can be.
    365_days_gone
    Seref wrote: People give Boss too much crap just because the DS-1 and MT-2 sucks balls. Their chorus is fine. Their delay is fine. Even their OD isn't that bad. They have some pretty decent pedals. And yet still, this being UG, people will rate this pedal low just because of the name.
    MT2- Metal Zone is an amazing distortion...gives me my perfect sound. I dont get why people hate it.
    Smart Patrol
    Very interesting. So far, this pedal is the one I reviewed that has the greatest response. Thank you all again.
    Linkerman
    Agreed.
    Seref
    Nirvanafan60 wrote: I only buy boss and looking at getting one now
    BF-3 is best choice for you.