BF-3 Flanger review by Boss

Boss: BF-3 Flanger

Purchased from: Ebay

I use a home-made Strat-style guitar with a Vox valvetronix and an Ibanez toneblaster 412. I have a huge pedalboard (Whammy, PH-3, MD-2, Expression Factory, Silver Dragon, Fab-Tone, SYB-3, DOD Chorus, and a Boss Trmolo repainted green, not in that order)and it sounds good with any. I only get excess noise when distortion is in use, and even then it isn't bad. My only complaint is that with too much Manual/Res. you can barley hear the actual guitar, and only the flanger. Actually, you can get a "tin can" sound (I describe it below), chorus, rotary, tremolo and standard flange out of this beast with a little tweaking.

I play weird expirimental sound, and use this in a unique way. I turn it to Ultra and turn the depth way down so it is a "still" flange, then I adjust the Manual/Res. control until I get it stopped where I like it. I have been using this for about a year, lthough I have been playing for many years. I would buy another if it were stolen because it is my "signature" sound (I rarley turn it off). The tin can sound on ultra is the best, but I hate how it sometimes turns itself on when I'm not using, but I think that is a power source problem. I got if off ebay, spru of the moment, just because I needed to get weird and this was a weird pedal, plus I know there are no pedals as good sounding as Boss. I only wish mine came with a power supply and manual, but what can you do?

Boss. Nuf said. Although my paint chipped easily with enough stomping or hard stomps. Mine is covered in paint chips (as are all my Boss pedals). This is a major concern. Just be carefull and stomp somewhat lightly.

Simple 5 knob pattern. I got no manual. Just twist the knobs to dial in a tone, and stomp the pedal to turn it on. Only complaint is the online manual didn't explain exactly what each mode did (What exactly is gated flanging).

Shredlet
    Yeah i recently got a FAB Distortion and Flange but i think they should be backups i want to get this Flange and DS-1 Distortion