BF-3 Flanger review by Boss

Boss: BF-3 Flanger

Purchased from: Ebay

My setup you can find on my profile, but in all this, put in the right spot (for me) the effect can still come through, though with some noise. Even the effect used on it's own outside of a chain can be noisy. If you listen to your amp whilst not playing anything and the unit turned on, you can hear the flanging going up and down. The effect isnt the strongest around in terms of flangers (I'm sure) but more of a mid range one, most likely used with rock solos on mind to add a bit of flavour. So more of a general one I suppose. Getting an artists sound out of this is not hard at all, seeing as a flanger is a pretty distinct sound, you just ned to discover what 'mode' the artist had it on.

In terms of matching me with my music now, I would say that this effect is 'easy to outgrow' it's good to fiddle with, maybe using it on a recording or two for fun, but for me I can't find any serious use for it. efore buying this I do wish that I could have played around with it objectively but, it was a new toy and I was a t ad excited, not regretting it though, it's been useful and fun to have, but if it were stolen I would probably go for something a bit more practical.

Being a Boss it is built well (I'm not going to say it is run-over-able, cos it may not be, and I'm not going to try it), I have gigged with it numerous times with out it failing, just being dented and scratched etc. Depending on it is not a problem, I never run my effects with batteries, as I prefer to know the sound coming out of them is consistent from start to finish, so no problems with life or reliability there.

Using the Boss BF-3 Flanger is relatively simple, 4 knobs, but 5 setting changes. On the first knob you have two options, change the 'Manual' and 'Res', which is basically controlling the 'tone' of your flanging. Next comes 'Depth' which controls how much the flanging fluctuates between ridiculously shallow, and a wide sweeping effect. This is helped along by the next knob, 'Rate' which controls the speed at which the flanging occurs. There are also different set modes for the flanger as well, Standard, Ultra, Momentary and Gate/Pan. Standard and ultra are fairly self explanitory, but momentary is a stop start sort of thing, you hold down the pedal when you want it on and take your foot off when you want it off, as opposed to pressing it on and off. Gate/Pan is more for stereo amps or P.A's etc, it gives the effect of the flanging moving around the room if you will, it creates a sound scape. The manual for this is ok, as most Boss ones are, but still leaves a little confusion if youare completely clueless to this product. So I suppose it doesnt't really do it's job.

hmonk0608
    yh boss pedals need to be unplugged from the input socket when ur not usin them or theyll go through batterys like crazy. btw can any1 tell me how this sounds through a bass (with and without distortion)
    skilly1
    anthrax1214
    this pedal kicks ass. i got it for 60 bucks at c and c guitars. ONLY IN PARIS, TEXAS. now i need a metal zone because all the distortion i have is an old boss hm-2 heavy metal that isnt distorted for my music, cannibal corpse, old metallica, anthrax, slayer, megadeth, shit like that.
    Foxlove224
    metal_skill wrote: dude i wouldnt go with the ds-1. i had one and the best i could say was ok. the only reason i used it was because i started out with a bass amp and used it for the distortion. when i got a real amp the distortion on the amp was better. i use an mt-2 now but i dont know what to suggest for just normal distortion rather than really metal.
    beastaw56
    All of boss pedals are decent quality. Atleast all the ones I own haven't been too hard to customize to get great sound. It just takes a little bit of tweaking to get it to sound the way you want. The great thing about the flanger is it's sound is so versatile. You can pretty much use it as a chorus or a phaser. I got a video of the bf-2 on my site. Check it out to see what it sounds like. http://best-guitar-pedals.com
    Foxlove224
    Tedward wrote: can you play in bloom good with it (if that is even a flanger)?
    skilly1 wrote: just got this pedal and as soon as i played it i loved it, been after a flanger for a while now and its exactly what ive needed