BR-600 Digital Recorder review by Boss

Boss: BR-600 Digital Recorder

Purchased from: Sweetwater

I use it with my $100 non-branded flying vee rip-off, a nice Yamaha acoustic of my dad's, my Takamine 12-string acoustic, my friend's ESP LTD F-250, my Yamaha BB series fretless bass and my suprisingly good quality 5-string Stingray rip-off. All of these sound absolutely brilliant, even the vee. No noise so to speak of from the unit. If this thing had a food controller I would use it as a multi effect, it's far better than the ME-50, about as good as the GT-8. You can do everything from Acoustic Folk to Thrash to Hard Rock to infinity and beyond!! The distortions are probably what stand out most but the clean effects are very beautiful. My one complaint is the placement of the expander before the compressor in the effects chain, meaning you can't compand to remove noise, I haven't figured how this is changed if at all. You can get around this by compressing heavily on the input stage and then expanding while bouncing or mastering.

I play a lot of Metallica (mostly post-Black pre-St. Anger) combined with folk and country. My brother uses it for his jazz. If it were stolen lost or broken I would either replace it or upgrade to a BR-1600 as soon as I could afford to. I love almost everything about this, especially the effects. It is far and away the best of it's class. I compared to similar models from Korg, Roland, Zoom etc and it was as good as the Roland but much cheaper. I wish it came with the AC adaptor, but like all Boss non-rackmount gear it doesn't come with one. So I had to buy one, which over here in New Zealand is extortionate. I also wish they gave you a decent sized memory card, they are also daylight robbery here. An example is that it was cheaper by about $400 for me to import one from USA, pay the shipping, the customs duty than it would have been for me to buy from Therockshop which here in NZ pretty much has a monopoly on Boss gear, I hope for the day when we get some market competition.

It's really reliable, one time it died on me but that was cos my adaptor had come loose and my batteries were flat. Wouldn't use it for gigging but it's not an effect unit so Who would? It has taken some pretty hard knocks from careless EX-bandmates Who had a habit of destroying my gear.

I love this unit. It is extremely easy to use once you get past the usual pitfalls of a Brand New Machine. Getting a good sound out of this baby is about as hard as switching on a light, the preset patches are brilliant and they can be freely modified, all perimeters are fully customisable. Also you don't have to write over the originals. You have 3 banks; the originals, the changes you have made for this particular song, and your user modifications. The manual is large and I didn't bother reading it at first as I have some experience with digital recorders. When it came to the deeper stuff like punching tracks and all that I read it and it was excellent.

Prog_On
    Have had this unit for 6 months and i can tell u that this is by far the best purchase u can ever make. Go get one NOW
    Ro734
    RoaryB. wrote: Does it record drums well?
    Built-in stereo mic so gd 4 drums
    Cresspo
    Ok so: Can you record a normal, good sounding song with this and if so: do you mix the tracks on the machine or on your computer or...? Please explain cause i'm really thinking of getting one, but I'm not sure wether or not this is suited for recording good demo songs.
    Vornik
    Torm wrote: Does this have any software for making whole songs? Or is it easy to revise songs with this thing only?
    I'm not sure what you mean by that, it's a recorder, it doesn't "make songs". You make the songs, it records you.
    RoaryB. wrote: Does it record drums well?
    Define 'well'. Recording drums well requires roughly a dozen microphones and just as many dedicated tracks, so no it doesn't. If you have a mic, you can record drums with this, yes.
    fishfingaz wrote: How much is the AC adapter for it? And do i have to buy the Boss adapter or can i use a cheap one?
    I'm not entirely sure, but I've never been able to find a cheap one that works. Check the specifications against a Boss adapter.
    fishfingaz
    Torm
    mindup
    Amazing recorder, i do everything on it, even the tiny mics in it are amazing. A definate Buy.
    axeman_scott88
    Very very good piece of machinery. (if that's what you want to call it.) BUt I would highly recommend the 1G card. You can only get about one song with high quality on the stock one. That aside, there is simply no better recorder in this price range. AND DON'T BUY ANOTHER ONE JUST BECAUSE IT HAS A BURNER!!! Seriously, it's really easy to burn your songs with this one. Oh, and I got mine for only $250 brand new!!!!
    rockeraz
    ill sell one on ebay item number used in great condition and works as new. 280219569166 is the item number. please check this out. it is really excellent at making drums, but you need some drum mics to record you playing em. mine starts at 220 and buy it now it 270
    bulletrocks522
    synzacky7 wrote: this sounds nice how much moore $$$ for the cd burner
    Its 250$ more if your talking about the BR-900CD.
    reversed mohawk
    I have one and I'm starting to be able to use it proficiently. I love all the in's & out's and the effects are surprisingly good. Tracks are easy to bounce,master and export to PC as well. Just make sure to get the biggest CF card you can. If the card is CLOSE to full and you are mastering, it will just stop, messing up ur work. And you cannot export while card is full either. (get the 4GB CF)
    Mettliccaa
    This things great. I just got it yesterday and I've already recorded a song. Very easy to use. Some of the built in effects are actually so cool that I'm gonna start using it as an effects pedal.
    prajwolla1990.a
    I had to sell mine Now I am thinking if I should get another BR600 or the smaller but less ergonomic BR80.