CE-2 Chorus review by Boss

Boss: CE-2 Chorus

Purchased from: eBay

I'm using this with my Marshall JVM410 in the effects loop. As for guitars I have 16 different ones but we'll just go with my main les paul. The sound is great and exactly what I was looking for. Not overpowering but you can hear it and it cleans up and adds some ZAZZ to you clean tone. I'm a pretty old school guy looking for an old school chorus sound. Think sounds like GNR's "Paradise City"opening or their cover of "Knockin' on Heavens Door". Or think Whitesnake's "Is This Love." It's a very 80's chorus BUT it's versatile as well as classic. You an easily get a great modern sound out of this. And if you feel that the rate isn't happening for you you can always look up and do the simple and easy "Keely Mod." With distortion it sounds good and gives you some more string definition and some fatter tone and with delay it's great too. This is an 1985 Green Label MIJ one. I've heard that the black and green label MIJ are better sounding than the green labels made in taiwan after 85. That I couldn't tell you because I've not owned the MIT one. That's some sound searching for you to do on your own.

I play everything. Rock, metal, jazz, folk, classical, etc. You name it I do. I've been playing for 15 years. I have plenty of guitars and other pedals But I'm mainly running a Marshall JVM 410H out a Marshall 4x12 cab with some goodies in the rack and on the floor. I'd say this Chorus, in my world, is a dream come true. I had one almost similar. An old DOD waaaaay back in the day but it crapped out and I've been searching for something to replace it well ever since. This is by far better than that old DOD I had. I couldn't be happier with it. It does what I want it to do and well and really does work for all things. Especially when you want to get your 80's hair metal power ballad moments on! LOL. Anyway like I said I prefer the 2 knob operation and its the best chrous I've played and I played many trying to replace the old DOD and was never happy till now. Not a bad thing I can say about this pedal. If it were stolen (because it won't die) I'd definitely shell out the cash for another. Hope this helped you guys.

It's a BOSS. They're built like tanks. And considering that this is a used pedal from 1985 that I just bought and it still working flawlessly I'd say it's pretty durable and reliable. I don't worry about battery life because I use an external power block for my board so I don't worry about it dying out fast or anything. I would gig with out a backup because 1)their expensive and I'm not buying another and 2)I have no doubt that it can preform every time. I've never had any trouble like that with any Boss products I've ever owned.

This pedals is beyond easy to use. It's 2 knobs. Not very hard to dial anything in. Which I much prefer. Most chorus pedals now are too much. Like the Boss Super Chorus I owned. Too many knobs. In this case I feel that less is definitely more. It's plug, dial, stomp, play. Of course this pedal has been discontinued since the 80's. Boss will tell you 82 but its more like 87. And I bought it used so it didn't have a manual. But BOSSUS.com has the manual in PDF form free for download. After looking at it its pretty much straight forward as to how to operate the pedal.

MaggaraMarine
    AdrianCrash wrote: This pedal was discontinued in the 82! if you have one dont even think sell it, its a jewel!
    They say it was discontinued in 1982 but it was really discontinued in 1990, I think (I read it from somewhere). If the label is black, it's made in early 80's and if it's green, it's made in mid/late 80's. And there are Taiwanese made too. People say Japanese are better but Gearmanndude proved that they sound almost (or even completely) the same and Taiwanese are cheaper.