CE-3 Chorus Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 04/06/2016 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: CE-3 Chorus
This is a Boss CE-3 chorus pedal made in Japan. It is very easy to get a good sound out of it only has 3 knobs.
 Ease of Use: 8.5
reviews (2) pictures (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
CE-3 Chorus Reviewed by: cwirus88, on april 06, 2016

Purchased from: private seller

Ease of Use: Well, like with all Boss pedals you really do not have to be a sound engineer or educated technician to get a desired tone. Three knobs: rate, depth and stereo mode (switch it only if you play stereo) make it extremely easy to dial into. I prefer setting rate at 11 o'clock and depth and 3 o'clock to get this gentle, deep chorus tone. Definitely gives its best when placed in the beginning of effects loop. You can only encounter one problem: power supply. As most of the old-vintage Bosses it runs on ACA adapter so if you use it standalone, 12v is required. If you daisy-chain it with other pedals - then 9v is enough. // 9

Sound: Folks, I have spent thousand hours in order to find that perfect and ultimate chorus. And there it is - oldschool, vintage Boss CE-3 from Japan (made in 1983). Sound quality is amazing - in fact CE-3 is rather subtle, gentle and delicate chorus which secretly adds this small sparkles into your tone. When you engage it, don't expect any hard-chorus-core with crazy shimmer - even if you turn all the knobs at max it is still quite calm and warm. It can be a bit noisy (like all the older Bosses) but you can adjust it with internal bias knob - just find the perfect spot. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Boss is crazy! By that I mean that it is now 33 years and still works fine - all paintwork, labels, knobs, input/output jacks and electric stuff are in great conditions. No wonder if it last another 33 years or even more - if so, put it with me into my grave. You can easily use it in any conditions - home, studio, live stages (rain/sun/wind) and while other pedals will refuse to work, this CE-3 will be still blinking with red LED encouraging you to play. Solid as tank, hard as rock, durable as old Mercedes-Benz. // 10

Overall Impression: In fact chorus is very important effect in each guitarist's pedalboard - it adds that warm and sparkle into your playing. On the other hand it should not overtake and overwhelm your tone - in my humble opinion it rather has to be an invisible and inaudible background. This Boss does his job perfectly. Pretty hard to find good CE-3 at reasonable price these days, since most of people do not want to get rid of them (why should they anyway?!). I bought it very occasionally at 20$, but they are much more expensive. Now I cannot imagine playing without it. // 10

CE-3 Chorus Reviewed by: championguitar, on april 12, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: This is a Boss CE-3 chorus pedal made in japan. It is very easy to get a good sound out of it only has 3 knobs. I have found several usable settings for it depending on what I want for a paticular sound. My pedal didn't come with a manual but you don't need one to get a good sound out of this pedal. // 8

Sound: I am using a Squier Jagmaster though a Crate V5 amp. I also am using a BOSS DS-1 and an sd-1 but I only use the sd-1 with this pedal. It is a faily noisy pedal and it has a higher pitched hiss that you can easily hear when your not playing, I plan on getting a noise suppressor to correct this. It can go from a suble chorus to a full on insane kind of chorus like you hear on Come as You Are by Nirvana. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss pedal they are built like tanks. My pedal was made in 1982 and has lasted almost 30 years with only a few chips in the paint. The only thing it that it takes a bit more force to turn it on than my newer Boss pedals but that isn't a real problem. I'd use it in a gig without a backup only with a few extra batterys. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of rock, which I don't use this pedal for but almost all of my clean sounds I have this pedal on. I've been playing for 2 1/2 years and this is the third pedal that I've purchased. If this pedal was stolen then I probably would get another because it was very cheap for a good quality chorus pedal. I tried a few other chorus pedals and this one beat all of them in the price range. // 7