CE-3 Chorus Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 04/06/2016 category: Guitar Effects

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Boss: CE-3 Chorus
This is a Boss CE-3 chorus pedal made in Japan. It is very easy to get a good sound out of it only has 3 knobs.
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 9.4
 9.8
 5,413
reviews (2) pictures (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
CE-3 Chorus Reviewed by: cwirus88, on april 06, 2016

Purchased from: private seller

Ease of Use: Well, like with all Boss pedals you really do not have to be a sound engineer or educated technician to get a desired tone. Three knobs: rate, depth and stereo mode (switch it only if you play stereo) make it extremely easy to dial into. I prefer setting rate at 11 o'clock and depth and 3 o'clock to get this gentle, deep chorus tone. Definitely gives its best when placed in the beginning of effects loop. You can only encounter one problem: power supply. As most of the old-vintage Bosses it runs on ACA adapter so if you use it standalone, 12v is required. If you daisy-chain it with other pedals - then 9v is enough. // 9

Sound: Folks, I have spent thousand hours in order to find that perfect and ultimate chorus. And there it is - oldschool, vintage Boss CE-3 from Japan (made in 1983). Sound quality is amazing - in fact CE-3 is rather subtle, gentle and delicate chorus which secretly adds this small sparkles into your tone. When you engage it, don't expect any hard-chorus-core with crazy shimmer - even if you turn all the knobs at max it is still quite calm and warm. It can be a bit noisy (like all the older Bosses) but you can adjust it with internal bias knob - just find the perfect spot. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Boss is crazy! By that I mean that it is now 33 years and still works fine - all paintwork, labels, knobs, input/output jacks and electric stuff are in great conditions. No wonder if it last another 33 years or even more - if so, put it with me into my grave. You can easily use it in any conditions - home, studio, live stages (rain/sun/wind) and while other pedals will refuse to work, this CE-3 will be still blinking with red LED encouraging you to play. Solid as tank, hard as rock, durable as old Mercedes-Benz. // 10

Overall Impression: In fact chorus is very important effect in each guitarist's pedalboard - it adds that warm and sparkle into your playing. On the other hand it should not overtake and overwhelm your tone - in my humble opinion it rather has to be an invisible and inaudible background. This Boss does his job perfectly. Pretty hard to find good CE-3 at reasonable price these days, since most of people do not want to get rid of them (why should they anyway?!). I bought it very occasionally at 20$, but they are much more expensive. Now I cannot imagine playing without it. // 10

CE-3 Chorus Reviewed by: championguitar, on april 12, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: This is a Boss CE-3 chorus pedal made in japan. It is very easy to get a good sound out of it only has 3 knobs. I have found several usable settings for it depending on what I want for a paticular sound. My pedal didn't come with a manual but you don't need one to get a good sound out of this pedal. // 8

Sound: I am using a Squier Jagmaster though a Crate V5 amp. I also am using a BOSS DS-1 and an sd-1 but I only use the sd-1 with this pedal. It is a faily noisy pedal and it has a higher pitched hiss that you can easily hear when your not playing, I plan on getting a noise suppressor to correct this. It can go from a suble chorus to a full on insane kind of chorus like you hear on Come as You Are by Nirvana. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss pedal they are built like tanks. My pedal was made in 1982 and has lasted almost 30 years with only a few chips in the paint. The only thing it that it takes a bit more force to turn it on than my newer Boss pedals but that isn't a real problem. I'd use it in a gig without a backup only with a few extra batterys. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of rock, which I don't use this pedal for but almost all of my clean sounds I have this pedal on. I've been playing for 2 1/2 years and this is the third pedal that I've purchased. If this pedal was stolen then I probably would get another because it was very cheap for a good quality chorus pedal. I tried a few other chorus pedals and this one beat all of them in the price range. // 7

Comments