CH-1 Super Chorus review by Boss

Boss: CH-1 Super Chorus

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Currently using it with a Laney LG35R amplifier (not tube, but very nice clean amp), and mainly with a Fender mexican Tele, sometimes with other guitars. It sounds very nice with arpeggios and single notes, and it can be a very discrete chorus in some settings, which I like. With chords, it does sound very well but a little bit low, for chords I would prefer the CE-5 Chorus ensemble. Clean it is not noisy at all. With distortion it sounds really good, I usally put either a MT-2 Metal Zone, DS-2 Turbo Distortion or an OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion. For power chords and solos, it is one of the best chorus out there, although it does become noisy with hard distortion, making the buzzes vibrate. Another important thing, around 2001 Boss changed the circuits in the CH-1 from analog to digital, if you have one with the serial number starting with P1 or earlier, you have the analog version.

I play mainly Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff, jazz, blues, rock and funk. It is not Frusciante's sound - for that, I need a CE-1, but that's a bit rare to find. For jazz, it is very nice, as it can be discrete on the low freqs and shimmer on the highs, and chord melodies sound great on it. I asked some things before buying, and tried it at the store. It is a good chorus for solos and distortion, as well as a jazz discrete chorus, but if you want vibe and chorus-flanging sounds, you may want to look at another place. I love the stereo outputs, really nice, it is also in my opinion the best chorus to combine with a delay. It has all the feautures you want on a basic chorus, but nothing too loud or radical.

It is a Boss, very sturdy and resistant, mine has already taken a decade of abuse and still sounds perfect. I think I would use it without a backup, but always using the PSA adaptor, I never run on batteries.

It is a very easy to use chorus, with knobs for Effect Level (how much chorus is added to dry signal), EQ (simple but useful Tone), Rate (speed of the effect) and Depth (how deep is the effect going to be). Very easy to dial your tone, although it does not offer a big variety of sounds. I dont have the manual as I bought it secondhand but Ive read it and it is very easy to understand and has spaces for you to write your settings. Another great thing is that it has Stereo Outputs.

MaggaraMarine
    Dawgman51
    Rhoads_1096 wrote: I find it hard to belive you were playing for only 1 year and have 4 Gibsons.
    Yeah, and not to mention the Mesa stacks and half-stacks. Them things ain't cheap either. If he's telling the truth (doubtful), then he must have more money than he knows what to do with!
    andrerist
    why would u be playing gibson ES's through a triple rec? and why would u be playing hardcore with an ES?
    Louthesnakeman
    I work at Gibson (Vianen, the netherlands), been playing for over 15 years and I only own 2 Gibsons... Also I find it impressive that you managed to get 2 Tom Delonge signature Gibsons as they are heavily back-ordered and not exactly cheap. And why would you get 2 of them? It all makes no fr*ckin' sense. Next; why own ALL the boss effects? you'll never use all of them, believe me... I know. I bought lots of pedals in my life and I end up with a chorus, superoverdrive, wah, tuner, compressor/sustainer and EQ (consider this pedalboard big compared to most players with your experience). Another one; If you're that much of a player, why combine Mesa Boogie amps with ES models and play hardcore with them? Anyway on topic; I like this pedal to thicken up my sound a bit, nothing more and nothing less. Not my no.1 pedal on the board but usefull in some situations.
    Silverpack
    MaggaraMarine wrote: I have been playing a year, I own a lot of Gibson Es 335s, Es 339s and 2 Tom Delonge ES 333s. I use a lot of Mesa stacks/halfstacks. And I own almost every other Boss effect pedal, including the new acoustic sim. Trolling? All BOSS effects? Mesa/Boogie halfstacks? (So he has many of them?) 4 Gibsons... I mean get the **** out of here! That would be a great equipment for somebody who has been playing for over 10 years but one year of playing... For example my friend has been playing for over 7 years and he only has a crappy Harley Benton starter pack, Gibson SG, three BOSS pedals and Digitech Whammy. And I have been playing for 2 years and own Epi LP and Charvel So-Cal (just bought), my amp is Micro Cube and I also have an RP355.
    I must admit it's nearly offensive to show off all of this pricey gear when more experienced musicians are striving for a single effect pedal.
    BradTheBluefish
    I think the pedal is quite handy. I like it, but I have a feeling there is a better one out there. Until I find a better one, it is a perfectly fine additional to my pedalboard. Definitely a "workhorse" pedal.
    jmcnmr
    Boss CH-1 is still an analog pedal. No need to take my word for it - call Boss - I did.
    marighlo