CS-3 Compression Sustainer review by Boss

Boss: CS-3 Compression Sustainer

I use this pedal with a Boss SD-1 Overdrive, my weak Crate 15W amp, a Tradition G12 (Fat Strat copy), and an Epiphone Special II. With the Overdrive before it I can get a really awesome White Stripes tone. It's also good for boosting a signal or lessening it. I imagine it would be great for clean sounds as well. Takes a little getting used to having chords be the same volume as single notes, but it's a really interesting effect.

Overall, I really enjoy this pedal. It brings some cool tones and effects to the table and really lets me get close to being Jack White. I'd reccomend it to anyone who plays a lot of garage/indie rock, and of course anyone who loves the White Stripes.

Danis1
    second review doesnt even know what he is talking about christ-almighty! id be damned if he even knows what this pedal is meant to do.
    Nocomment
    Lol silly goose with the hating of it. even if you were younger why the hell would you buy something not knowing what it does. "Hey this looks cool, lets buy it without knowing anything about it!"
    WrathOscuro
    This pedal did nothing to my tone, but bring it to life, by sounding like an invisible blanket was taken off of my amp..kind of like what people say about the BBE Sonic Stomp.
    vickers89
    I think this pedal is great, aswel as using a DBX 266XL Compressor/Gate through my bass amp, i love to use this to add some volume and tons of compression. Its great for tapping and using harmonics on the Bass!
    Donkey Fly
    slipsoad928 wrote: lick my balls danis1 it was almost 2 years ago i wrote that. who are you to criticize, i didnt know what the pedal did at the time, but now i do and i take back my bad comments about it.
    Sorry but im with danis... You obviously don't know wjat the pedal does. If you can't hear a difference then you must be tone deaf.
    Goldengitar
    Seriously. This pedal does what it is supposed to. I love it and use it all the time. All hail this pedal.
    CigarKid
    Oh, One additional thing to add to my above review, like aeirom1 said, "Use A Noise Suppressor With It!"
    CigarKid
    This Boss CS-3 pedal is the Balls. I use it with my Weeping Demon Wah pedal to get a Long Sustain and even allows me to mess around with feedback sustains like Joe Satriani does. He obviously uses other methods to get his forever notes but for the money, when used together like I described, it is amazing the sounds these 2 effects together can make. Ive been playing for over 30 years now and I must say these new toys can really add some fun to your playing.
    eligal
    will-loves-zep wrote: is there better options out there for sustainers?
    Ditto. Im lookin to buy a compressor/sustainer but Im not sure on which pedals are good n not. I was reffered to analog man's comprossor or bi-comprossor, but the things a lil pricy for me... For those of you who might be interested though: http://analogman.com/rossmod.htm#comp
    will-loves-zep
    all of these (except for the first 1) are wank...garage/indie? id be suprised to see any indie bands using a sustainer, and 3 what the frank!!??? it offers very little distortion? no shit sherlock
    masterofeedback
    yeah its nosisy and can kill ur tone if its clean, but OD-1 + CS-3 is such a cool sound i only ever use this one with the OD-1 to get big fat OD tone.
    xSacrilegex
    I use one of these. I mainly play low tunings. I'm a 7 string fanatic. I find it works great, does cut a bit of my crunch, but sure f_ckin' clarifies the low tunings without degrading my distortion.
    jcs5234
    i bought this thing to try and clean up the tone of my fender pro junior, but it completely eliminated the tone of the guitar and made the sound very brittle and not very warm. needless to say i returned it a week later
    slipsoad928