CS-3 Compression Sustainer review by Boss

Boss: CS-3 Compression Sustainer

Purchased from: Ebay

In my set-up (Jackson DK2M - EHX Metal Muff - MXR Dist+ - Morley Wah - Boss CS-3 - Marshall MG100) it is a bit noisy when put through distortion but this is nothing a noise gate wouldn't fix. The effect is great. Amazing sustain and the compressor works great. I know a lot of artists that use the CS-3 so it is quite popular.

I play a lot of lead guitar in instrumentals and I'm in a metal band and a pop rock band. It works well in all styles and really improves your lead tone. If it was stolen I would probably buy another, or I would try the Line 6 Constrictor just to see how it compares. The only thing I hate about it is the hiss but I am going to Pick up a noise gate which will fix this. Very underated pedal. It'll take you a few weeks to like it but when you realise how good it is, you'll never let it go.

It's a Boss pedal. It's built like a tank, this thing will not break unless you crush it with a tank or something. Seriously. The Switch wont break like dpdt switches and battery life is pretty good. I would use it without a back up for sure. You wouldn't need backup for any Boss pedal.

I bought this second hand off ebay so there was no box or manual but I know Boss pedals, and the manuals are always great so I assume the same for this pedal. Unlike one of the other reviews where the guy said there's barely a difference (he clearly doesn't know what the purpose of the pedal is), the pedal is really easy to work. there's four knobs, level which is for the volume, tone which is like a tone knob on your guitar, attack which levels out the volume of say chords and picked notes and sustain, which well, does sustain. This is upgraded from the CS-2.

Andraysexy
    This discussion seems to be getting very heated, so lets all just talk about Halo 3
    SL!!!
    ozbozz123 wrote: ^ are u sure u know what its meant to do?
    Hahaha, yeah, that last review is bad. Really bad. haha.
    xAvengerX
    Hey people. I recenylu got this pedal. It does sound better and stuff. But i don't know how to keep the sustain going and then getting that major feedback. Can anyone help me? I have a cheap Squier Standard with stock stuff. Would that..not be the best thing to use to do this? .. THanks in advance guys/gals
    Sledfang
    The feedback could be because either you or the pedal is too close to the amp. That's usually what causes excessive feedback. It's probably the pedal though, if you are using a smallish setup the guitar would have to be really close to the amp (as in, you holding the guitar right next to the input) to get unintentional feedback. Just space out your stuff.
    f1sk
    awesome, I was going to get an mxr dyna comp but I think I will be getting one of these instead bummer that i'll have to put down dough for a noise supresor now but Im sure it wouldn't hurt to have that in my rig.
    liquidstring
    Take note that this pedal (as of most compressors) is rather noisy when used with distortion. and you would need to do a mod with it (treble bleed) as it boosts too much highs and sucks the mid and bottom tones, which may be bad if you like bottom heavy sounds. but ****ing good pedal for the price i got mine for us$50 first hand
    aldrichmanabat
    got this pedal on a cheap price from a jam studio, this really helps in giving your sound a chunky, fat sound,and natural like sound, but this also gives an unwanted feedback,so you should use a noise suppression or something,,also add this effects. BOSSEQ + CS3 + BOSS DS1 + morley classic wah, and your ready to play,haha