DD-20 Giga Delay review by Boss

Boss: DD-20 Giga Delay

The most important change this pedal makes to your sound is if you alter the tone knob, and I've tried it on a few different setups with great results. The modulate mode also changes delayed sound as it repeats more and more, which creates a nice swaying feeling that blends with the music pretty nicely. All the styles except for twist sound great and replicate your guitar's sound perfectly, but twist is pretty much useless. I'd say one of my top favorite modes is smooth. It balances the tone of a note and makes, well, a "smoothed out" sound that I use as a background layer while playing post-rock stuff over it. The DD-20 is almost silent, no noticeable noise unless you have your ear up to the amp with the volume cranked.

I play just about every kind of rock, but this pedal really makes post-rock amazing. If you have a DD-20, try playing some simple tapping arpeggios like e:|17-8-10 X5 then e:|15-7-8 X5 with the delay on analog or smooth at around 400ms, the tone knob turned all the way to the left, and full effect level and feedback. Then turn off the delay (while the background arpeggios keep going) and play just about anything with a nice melody. There ya go, you made a keyboard's atmosphere with a guitar's sound in about 15 seconds. Not to mention you can add delay to the pedal's looping function. Back to the review: If my DD-20 were stolen, I'd buy another of course. Most of the songs I'm writing include using it for ambience or looping, so it's pretty much become a necessity in my setup. My biggest complaint is probably the fact that if you want to go from your preset #1 to your preset #4, you have to scroll through #2 and 3 first, although that's just being nitpicky. I compared this to pretty much every other delay pedal out there before buying it, and the bonus 23 seconds of looping was what sold me at first, though now I'm glad it has everything else. For all it does, the price is fantastic.

You've heard it before, Boss pedals are built like bricks, and this weighs about as much as one too. I can depend on it as much as anything, no worries about it breaking. I'd use it at any gig without a backup, this thing isnt goin' anywhere. Both pedals and all the knobs are secure, I don't think I could break them if I tried.

First off, this is an amazing pedal, definitely worth the money if you're considering purchasing it. Getting a good sound is as easy as choosing the style of delay you want and possibly adjusting the tone knob for a mellower or brighter delay. The manual explains explicity how each kind of delay works, and gives a few example settings.