DD-3 Digital Delay review by Boss

Boss: DD-3 Digital Delay

Purchased from: Guitarworks

I have an Epiphone SG 310, Boss DS-1 and a really bad amp. This thing makes no noise whatsoever. If you turn the Feedback control to 5 o'clock, the sound oscillated like an old analog delay, it is really cool. This is a Boss pedal, so the effects are always going to sound great. Yes, you can even get the "Welcome To The Jungle" intro slapback delay effect, it is right on. Last night, I was messing around with the controls, and completely by accident, I found a really cool phaser/flanger sound. Sometimes, you can get a neat octave effect too.

I play heavy metal and rock, this pedal is a great match. I've been playing 2 1/2 years and have an Epiphone SG 310 and a Boss DS-1. I wish that I could have bought a small cable for between the two pedals, but it's too late. If it got stolen, I would find the robber and make him eat 9-volt batteries. I really like the hold feature; you play a short riff or a note then push the pedal down and hold it. You can change the speed/pitch while doing this by twisting the 'Delay Time' knob. I compared this with the DD-5 and DD-6, and they were too danged expensive, I didn't want to buy a crappy, $30 Danelectro Echo pedal either, this was the best. The pedal is great the way it is, but I would like to change the colour, white is not my favourite colour.

This thing is a tank. It weighs a whole pound and has the usual 1/8 inch metal housing and rubber non-slip bottom. I can't afford a backup delay pedal, but I would bring a spare battery just in case.

This thing has 4 knobs, so it is easy to get a really good sound out of it. If you Google Boss DD-3 settings, you can find all sorts of patches and settings. The manual just tells you what each knob does. This unit was direct from the Guitarworks ware house; I presume that it has not been modified.

straternator_1
    im looking to get a delay pedal.....is the DD-6 much better than the DD-3? it sure costs a lot more
    jamescc
    i saved up for ages to get this!!! is anyone else pretty pissed they dont supply the power cable...they are well expensive and its like buying a phone without a charger! but apart from that its well good
    Slap-happy
    Raptor195 wrote: Thinking on getting one. Honestly, I always use short delay times -so I dont think I need the 6.4 secs of the DD-6, so should I get this or Dunlops Carbon Copy Analog delay? Because I like analog things,but I trust more Boss rather than Dunlop.
    I have a DD-3 and highly recommend it. I recently tried the Carbon Copy and was also impressed enough to buy one, too. I ise them both, just for different applications - the DD-3 is the pedal board, live rig mainstay and the Carbon Copy (solid as a brick!) sounds a little richer when I record with it.
    mi2tom
    Maiden-Canada
    I love this pedal to death; dude in Long & McQuade told me delay was the way to make your leads sound better, and I have to agree to some extent. Bought a Behringer DD400 (clone of this pedal) for U2/ricochet echo stuff, leave this one for solos. Great combo.
    Raptor195
    mi2tom wrote: I've owned a digitech digidelay, line 6 echopark and boss dd3, the digitech and line 6 blows this dd3 away, the only one I really like about boss is their dd2
    The DD3 and DD2 use the very same circuitry, if not, check http://bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=bo... -the DD2 had its name changed only for business purposes, but the main ingredients are still the same.
    shoule79
    Good delay, used mine for 7 or 8 years until i bought the Line 6 Delay Modeler (big green one). The digital delay setting sounds the same as the DD 3, and it includes 15 other delays. It doesn't cost much more to boot.
    Nicolini109
    Besides Dunlop Wahs, I only use BOSS. Considering what everyone has said about the DD-3, it's about to be the newest addition to the pedalboard
    Raptor195
    bazza92
    This sure is one awesome pedal. I just bought this as well as a ds-2 turbo distortion and a ch-1 super chorus and I must say the dd-3 is my favourite. It sounds awesome through my marshall and is exactly the delay I've been after for ages!
    ToBeAGooner
    Try hooking this thing up to 2 amps using the direct out. I dont know what took me so long to do this, but it is definetely the coolest part of this effect.
    Vin2254
    i completely disagree. i've tried the digitech and line 6 and unless your playing through a line 6 spider amp it doesn't sound as good too me. im playing through a peavey tube so i wanted it to do its delay without me losing my warm tone. and the only one that did that was the boss.
    Josola
    How does this compare to the ibanez DE7, i'm stuck between the 2
    AlexBarraclough
    Get a Keeley Modded one. There so much more versatile than the stock one, and if you place an autowah pedal into the effects loop... DUBSTEP!!!! Honestly, they are worth the extra bit of cash. Also, i have a DD-2, and a jonny octave pedal for sale. Message me if interested.