DD-3 Digital Delay review by Boss

Boss: DD-3 Digital Delay

Price paid: € 125

Purchased from: Music Link Malta

In general it is easy to use the unit. The first 3 knobs are what is generally present on most delay pedals: dry to wet mix; number of repeats and delay time. They may have a different name but do the same function. The other knob is used to select the mode. The modes are clearly illustrated below the third knob. Basically the mode is to set delay time between short, medium and long. There is also a hold function. The pedal is self explanatory and it is easy to understand the function of each control. Getting a decent sound is quite easy. Setting the D.time setting can be a bit tricky as very small change on the knob results in a noticeable difference. Getting it perfect can sometimes take a bit of time.

Being a digital delay unit, the repeats sound clean and clear. The repeats are particularly clear and have bold top end presence even when compared to other digital delays. I use the DD-3 in the effects loop of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I prefer the sound of the DD-3 when placed in the effects loop after modulation effects rather than before the amplifier. I generally use it to enhance distorted lead parts and solos. Also, I find it great for clean repeats even with modulation. Generally I use chorus or phaser to compliment this pedal.

The pedal has a cast metal housing which should provide great mechanical protection. Instead of rubber feet, it has a rubber bottom that works well on most floor surfaces. The knobs and pots also feel very sturdy. My pedal survived a few gigs. The pedal in general looks like it could take a beating. My biggest concern of damaging the pedal is more of electric faults. I try to use it with a decent power supply unit. It's current draw is fairly low for a digital unit and this allows it to be supplied by most PSUs. Mine never failed.

The pedal is a great pedal for nice clean and clear repeats. I do not use it instead of an analogue delay, but more of a different effect than the analogue counterpart. This gives me flexibility. The biggest let down of this pedal is that the delays do not trail when you switch off the pedal. Also, it lacks tap tempo delay. I have been playing for 14 years, and this is my favourite delay unit. It is able to produce really clear repeats and to my ears it is the best digital delay I tried before buying it. My favourite feature, even though it is not particularly important, is the colour and finish of the pedal. It is a nice piece of gear.