DD-7 Digital Delay review by Boss

Boss: DD-7 Digital Delay

Purchased from: Sweetwater

My setup is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (stock pickups) -> Boss TU-2 tuner -> an old Crybaby (probably 70s-80s era) -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor -> DD-7. My amp is a Fender Frontman 212R (hoping to upgrade to a Marshall soon.) No noise, just remember, delay goes after distortion ( a pretty basic rule.) I use the HOLD mode to loop songs' riffs and solo over them (this is the coolest part of the pedal.) The analog mode is great for those long, gilmour-ish Echoes on Pink Floyd records. The modulation and reverse modes aren't that useful for emulating others, but may help you to find a unique sound. Just remember: the REVERSE mode won't make you sound like "Castles made of Sand" by Jimi. The "normal" modes sound great, good for playing any guitar solo- especially ones that you want to sound like Steve Vai. The 50ms mode is worthless to me, it's more for when you're using it in stereo.

I play classic rock, hair metal, a little thrash, and Grunge, and this pedal sounds and operates great for me. I bet it sounds even better in stereo. If it were stolen or lost, first I would find the piece of @#$^ that stole it and beat them into submission, then I'd buy another one as soon as I could afford it. I also looked at MXR's carbon copy, and loved the sound of analog delay, but found the DD-7 to be much more flexible, plus it has an authentic sounding analog delay, making it a better choice.

It's a Boss. It'll never break or quit working. The only CON is that it really sucks batteries (normal for digital delays.) I use a 1Spot AC adaptor for this and all of my other pedals and it woks fine. Just remember, expected battery life with an alkaline battery is just 6 hours.

This is a very useful pedal. It is fairly self-explanatory if you read the instruction manual, or if you've used Boss compact delays before. There are a bunch of modes to choose from, and they all sound good. It comes with a sticker you can put in its side to remind you what the delay times for each mode are. The stereo modes are also posted. I haven't used this, as I have only 1 amp.

BlaketheHero
    I dig this pedal but have had some problems with the jacks. This may be something that has only happened to me, however, I haven't beaten the pedal up much and it has caused me problems on two different gigs. Don't trust it right now but am going to get it fixed because it has been a great creative tool and very handy in a lot of different scenarios.
    potato_couch89
    very great pedal. my favorite! very diverse in usage and just makes u sound good. yeah, battery life is horrible, but the adapter can fix that. definitely better than the previous versions!
    McMullen20
    this things sick. Lots of money. worth as much as my amp. Cant imagine it in a stack. A very good pedal. Loop is sweet. lots of time for solo rythyms. Go buy it. ive had it a day and i already love it.