DD-7 Digital Delay review by Boss

Boss: DD-7 Digital Delay

Purchased from: Bandland, Teesside

This is my second compact pedal (which I'm using alongside my Boss DS-2) and I use this with my Peavey Rage 158 and ESP EC50 LTD, both are set to standard clean and clear settings. The pure range of sounds this little pedal can produce is superb. Everything from long doubling to room reverb to nostalgic analog delay sounds to the amazing reverse setting. With a huge range of modes and countless settings to experiment with, this one little pedal is a dream for every possible delay type. It can even work as a makeshift reverb pedal! A bonus on this pedal is the hold setting which acts as a sound on sound looper. With mono connections, it holds a whopping 40 seconds of sound and you can overdub to your heart's content. This pedal is all about sound, and boy does it deliver.

This is an amazing compact Delay pedal. In its range, I'd say it is unbeatable. It has so many functions and features that achieve so many different sounds and delay types, not only can you rely on it for all your delay needs, you never get board of experimenting with it! It's a very valuable member of my pedal collection and I only regret not getting one sooner. A superb pedal.

It is a Boss compact pedal and like all such pedals, it's built like a bomb shelter. A strong metal case surrounds it and the knobs are far away enough from the stomping pedal to keep them safe. Only a madman with very big boots will manage to cause this pedal any damage in a reasonable amount of time. I would happily rely on this pedal live (using my pedalboard to power it, of course) and I haven't had a single malfunction with it after a few months of use.

With the briefest read of the main instructions, I had this pedal set up and creating fantastic sounds pretty much immediately. The explanations in the manual are so straight forward that an understanding of how to get certain sounds and what each mode and function does is achieved wonderfully quickly. There's a lot to take in on this pedal and a huge range of sounds to create, but it's so cleverly designed and laid out that you feel like you're in control from the moment you turn it on. Once you get a hang of things, the manual goes into further explanation of how to fully master every last great function with maximum ease and lack of convoluted jibba jabba!