DF-2 Super Distortion And Feedbacker review by Boss

Boss: DF-2 Super Distortion And Feedbacker

Price paid: C$ 75

Purchased from: Kijiji

The DF-2 is not the blues guitarist's shortcut to natural-sounding feedback. The feedback it generates is synthetic-sounding and it ends abruptly and unnaturally. This being said, the Super Feedbacker can be extremely useful outside of more traditional musical genres. In an ambient context, the Feedbacker is much like an e-bow, delivering the same synthy drones, but in a much more convenient format. Following it with some echo and reverb can help soften the sudden start/stop of the feedback. It is capable of immense walls og guitar noise and is an interesting Tool for the experimentalist. The distortion of the DF-3 itself is identical to that of the DS-1 and is appropriate for several genres, from classic rock & hard-rock to Grunge and shoegazing.

For the most part, I play ambient music - space-rock, dream-pop, shoegazing - and the DF-2 could not be a better fit. I've been considering buying this pedal for upwards of a year now, but I was always scared off by warnings that it sounded digital, that it tracked badly, and that it was difficult to operate. Now that I have it, I have difficulty understanding all the negative reviews; the ability to generate infinite feedback with one stomp of the foot has been an invaluable tool to me. If it were to break, I would have to replace it. Since I aquired the Super Feedbacker, it has become my primary source of distortion and a staple in my rig.

My DF-2 is a MIJ model, which usually means good quality. It's well over a decade old, but the knobs are all firmly in place. It looks fairly banged-up, but works fine. The only thing wrong with it is that its adaptor jack is a little loose, which causes it to pop if I kick it by accident. This isn't really a big deal and should be easy enough to fix. As all Boss compact pedals, its battery compartment is under its footswitch, which makes it much more convenient than several other boxes on the market.

The DF-2 Super Feedbacker & Distortio is sometimes made out to be a difficult pedal to control. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this isn't really the case. The pedal features two sections: Distortion and Feedback. The Distortion section includes a Level, Tone, and Distortion knob and is, as far as I can tell, identical to a DS-1. The Feedback section consists of an Overtone knob, which controls the pitch of the feedback. I got the Super Feedbacker in used condition without its manual, and since it has been discontinued for a while now, I've been unable to find it anywhere online. This wasn't really much of an issue; it's fairly straightforward, and a handful of Youtube demos of it offer some guidance. Once the pedal has been turned on, one need only strum a note, then hold down the footswitch to generate infinite feedback. This was unclear in Youtube demos so I'll just clear it up right now: releasing the footswitch does not turn the DF-2 off. At first, it can be a little tricky to coordinate your hands and feet to generate feedback at the right time, but it's nothing that a little practise can't solve.

Smart Patrol
    I have just written a review about DF-2. By the point of view of a guy who had his would-be career interrupted against his will. I hope you like it. : )
    Smart Patrol
    Im still waiting for my review to be published. I spent lots of time and Engligh language expertise on it.