DN-2 Dyna Drive review by Boss

Boss: DN-2 Dyna Drive

I usually use my Fender Stratocaster with this pedal, through a small, 10-watt Marshall amp. The pedal goes well with both the Marshall and the Strat. Even with the tone and Drive turned all the way up, the control maintains, this is a good quality pedal. This pedal can get you all different sounds from Black Sabbath's Paranoid with the tone turned all the way down, to Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" with the tone turned all the way up, and AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" with the tone set in the middle, it's all there.

I play mostly Rock, Hard Rock, Rock and Roll, and a little bit of Grunge and Alternative, and this suits all of those styles just fine. There feature in which you Pick harder the gain gets higher, and if you Pick lightly the gain gets lower. This feature in my opinion is mostly stupid, but comes in handy once in a while. Anyhow, the whole idea of it is not planned out too well, because you are supposed to Pick lightly whenever you play to have better speed and accuracy, and if this feature worked better, than that would be a problem, but in this case the feature doesn't work too well. I really should have just bought a regular Overdrive pedal, because the only reason why it costs more is because of that unecessary feature. It is a great Overdrive pedal though, so I would give it a 10 without the picking feature, but since it does have the feature that lowers the rank, because all it does is make the pedal more expensive.

This pedal is very durable, with it's metal case, but it isn't as undestructable as a DigiTech Overdrive pedal, which is heavier, but not by much. The grip on the bottom isn't as good as a DigiTech's grip either, but again, not by much. I don't worry about this pedal failing me when I play a gig, since it never has failed me.

This pedal is easy to use and has three knobs: level, tone, and Drive-gain. You can get all different sounds by just simply turning the tone knob, from a rich, bluesy sound, to a thin crunch sound, it's all there. The Drive also works well, with it turned all the way up you get a hard rock distortion, and with it turned all the way down you get a bright, clean tone.

shaofu0424
    this is a seriously cool pedal for higher wattage tube amps in clubs where one cant really get em into power tube clip... it seems to work really well with an evil twin... ie: 100 watt twin... not the same as full tube clip, but the sound guy wont turn up the suck knob if you spare his ears with one of these... dig it...
    Victor Escobar
    I played this at Guitar Center today It was a pretty versatile pedal. Wouldnt mind having this in my pedal collection.
    Izural
    Played this pedal for about 1year now. And I think it's a good First OD. But you'll notice that it suck up your tone VERY bad. I'm playing with a Epiphone LP Tribute Pluged into a Marvalous Fender Twin-Amp. With that kind of setting, you're looking for a Vintage, Rich tube tone. And the Dyna Drive Really suck up this tone out. Like i said, It's a Nice 1st OD Pedal to get your Pedalboard Started.